Poster blames rape victims, does it?

Could you exlpain how it is victim blaming? I'd like to understand how people think it so

"1 in 3 rapes happens when the victim has been drinking "

Basically it's saying don't drink because individuals have differing tolerances to the effects of alcohol. The poster does acknowledge "victim" though.

For me it suggests by taking personal responsibility you've somehow indirectly supported the predator in not going through with the act. If you reduce rape by one criteria it'll only increase in another unless a 1 in 3 rape is only defined by alcohol consumption.

How many freedoms, rights, self determination, liberty have to be seceded in order not to be a victim ? How many out of those 1 in 3 were blonde, redheads, auburn, were they menstruating, fat, thin, white, Black..is it just drink? could there be other factors excluding the fact that some psycho thought it was his right?

1 in 4 women are abused by their partners in the states..that jumps to 1 in 2 if she gets involved with a cop, yet those statistics come within the 1 in 4 stat.

"1 in 3 rapes happens when the victim has been drinking "

Basically it's saying don't drink because individuals have differing tolerances to the effects of alcohol.

No. Its saying 1 in 3 rapes happen when the victim is drunk, to me saying rapists are more likely to go for a drunk victim than a sober one. Therefore take more care if you choose to get drunk.

Does anyone on here think that what they were wearing, what they were drinking, and how they were behaving somehow invites rape? I don't think so. If they do they are utterly wrong. the fact remains that if you are drunk you are more likely to be raped. Not that you are encouraging people to rape you, just that you are less aware of the danger and may put you in a more vulnerable position.

In the poster "Rape" is almost used as an impersonal thing, second only to rape, the thing rapists do. Victim in benign, very personal and gives no sense of how heinous the perpetrator is.

---------- Post added 29-10-2014 at 22:43 ----------

No. Its saying 1 in 3 rapes happen when the victim is drunk,

Read the poster, it's important. Don't add what isn't there.

to me saying rapists are more likely to go for a drunk victim than a sober one.

That's because you haven't understood the stats. 1 out of 3 leaves 2. The chances of you being raped fall within the 2 (not drunk) So by not avoiding drink you are just as likely to fall into the other 2 categories. (No escape)

Edited by skinz

There's this petition to try and get these NHS posters removed, apparently some think it's blaming the victims (of rape).

When I saw it, I interpreted it simply as advice to try and not drink so much alcohol that you are exposed and vulnerable. Now I've seen this campaign I've had another think about it but still can't really see how it blames victims (although I can see how the photograph could distress other victims).

Sometimes I wonder if people are unable to differentiate between "advice given to minimise risk and keep yourself safe", and, "it's your fault because you didn't minimise risk".

It seems to get to the point where you can't offer advice for risk of being accused of blaming the victim. I think the fault lays with the misguided kind hearted souls who don't want to see harm come to others, they should keep their advice to themselves. Then everyone's happy, no?

I can't speak for Parvo - but as I indicated earlier, the culture we live in is very quick to blame the victim - that what they were wearing, what they were drinking, and how they were behaving somehow invites rape. No it does not. I think this poster, however unwittingly, feeds into that belief that it's the victims behaviour that causes the rape..

What I'm asking, though, is how?

---------- Post added 29-10-2014 at 22:53 ----------

Sometimes I wonder if people are unable to differentiate between "advice given to minimise risk and keep yourself safe", and, "it's your fault because you didn't minimise risk".

So which one do you think this poster is?

In the poster "Rape" is almost used as an impersonal thing, second only to rape, the thing rapists do. Victim in benign, very personal and gives no sense of how heinous the perpetrator is.

---------- Post added 29-10-2014 at 22:43 ----------

Read the poster, it's important. Don't add what isn't there.

That's because you haven't understood the stats. 1 out of 3 leaves 2. The chances of you being raped fall within the 2 (not drunk)

Drinking. Drunk. The implication is inebriation but thats irrelevant really. Its not that i havnt understood the stats. Im just not as bothered as you are in trying to defend a pointless point. You like the sad loners wanting the picture banned are just putting your energies into the wrong direction. Saying the poster is blaming the victim is just crazy talk and your posts here trying to back up that crazy talk are just as crazy. So ill bow out and just say you have a good night :)

Does anyone on here think that what they were wearing, what they were drinking, and how they were behaving somehow invites rape? I don't think so. If they do they are utterly wrong. the fact remains that if you are drunk you are more likely to be raped. Not that you are encouraging people to rape you, just that you are less aware of the danger and may put you in a more vulnerable position.

---------- Post added 29-10-2014 at 21:59 ----------

If someone is sick enough to be predisposed to raping someone, then showing them a poster is not going to stop them.

Some of the suggestions on here are getting really stupid. It is not a matter of opinion, some of them are just plain wrong.

I cannot say definitively that some people believe nor disbelieve it. But I have read comments on here doubting the experiences and questioning the morality of child sexual abuse victims. This was on a thread about child sexual abuse in the light of the Savile and other high profile cases. If they question the motives of children, what's to stop them questioning an adult?

I cannot say definitively that some people believe nor disbelieve it. But I have read comments on here doubting the experiences and questioning the morality of child sexual abuse victims. This was on a thread about child sexual abuse in the light of the Savile and other high profile cases. If they question the motives of children, what's to stop them questioning an adult?

Ok. But it doesn't say or even tacitly imply that you re at fault if you are drunk. It states facts. It leaves women to make up their own minds as to whether they are more likely to be raped in certain situations if they are drunk.

It can only help women who are otherwise naïve or carefree.

---------- Post added 29-10-2014 at 23:23 ----------

Crazy........

Crazy to go on a date sober or drunk?