Which search engine do you use

Which search engine do you use?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which search engine do you use?

• Google
    • Bing
    • Other
    • I dont I use Sheffield Forum & expect others to search for me!

So do I and I am not that old ;)

I remember logging into Quarterdeck and discovering a Mosaic maintained web directory that claimed to have all the sites (URLs) in the world on it. It totalled around 4000...

The good old days! Logging on to bulletin boards, using my 14.4k (and slower) modems. Trying to get my TCP/IP settings right otherwise Demon wouldn't let me on. Converting a song to mp3 (I remember when it came out!) took all night! I spent my first student loan on a DX2 machine costing £900. My phone is currently about 50 times faster than that!

Memories :)

The good old days! Logging on to bulletin boards, using my 14.4k (and slower) modems.

I remember doing a full week's course on the inner workings and installation of some 14.4 modems at Case Communications in Watford....those were the days... :)

I remember doing a full week's course on the inner workings and installation of some 14.4 modems at Case Communications in Watford....those were the days... :)

Setting the dip switches, messing with IRQs. I'm sure those things don't even exist any more! USB cable to modem - done! Where's the fun in that.

Setting the dip switches, messing with IRQs. I'm sure those things don't even exist any more! USB cable to modem - done! Where's the fun in that.

Most things are plug 'n play today aren't they... On the courses at Case we went through the software in the modem as well as the hardware.. it was very interesting but looking back it did seem a bit OTT for a modem..I remember working on HP7933/5 disk drives..HP-IB interface..404mb and the size of a washing machine...we used to have to go out with an oscilloscope and special kit (head alignment stuff etc) to repair them..and reel to reel tape drives..all good fun though...

Are you considering where would be best to advertise, out of interest?

I voted google though. I remember the days of lycos, yahoo, alta vista and the others, because I'm old :)

Welll we use Google ads. It's very cost effective and brings in custom faster then a rat up a drain pipe.

Was just thinking about Bing and who uses it

Welll we use Google ads. It's very cost effective and brings in custom faster then a rat up a drain pipe.

Was just thinking about Bing and who uses it

I was considering Google Adwords (is that the one you use?). So you've had a good success rate with it?

I'm trying to work out how it's done - I'm considering getting an SEO type person to look at it I think.

Most things are plug 'n play today aren't they... On the courses at Case we went through the software in the modem as well as the hardware.. it was very interesting but looking back it did seem a bit OTT for a modem..I remember working on HP7933/5 disk drives..HP-IB interface..404mb and the size of a washing machine...we used to have to go out with an oscilloscope and special kit (head alignment stuff etc) to repair them..and reel to reel tape drives..all good fun though...

Don't worry, our compsci students still get hands on with all the inner-workings these days ;)