Germany fires warning to britain over migration reform

Doing jobs our unskilled won't do. Warehouse work, farm work, I've worked in hotels where the majority are Eastern European. But they aren't all unskilled either - I've had my boiler fixed by a polish guy who worked for British gas and my van recovered by another one.

I'm not saying all of them work or that there aren't some culture clash issues but generally I've rarely had a problem with the vast majority of EU migrants I've come accross.

But what do unskilled and illeagal add to the economy?

What we should be aiming for is professional and at the very worst skilled workers doing jobs we require.

They need qualifications, degrees and experience.

There are plenty of british plumbers and builders.

What we should be aiming for is professional and at the very worst skilled workers doing jobs we require.

And what would you do to ensure we got the right migrants?

Contribution based or not, net migration of 150000 per year can't work. What about our grads and workers? How do they find work in such a crowded jobs market.

In 10 years that will be a minimum of another 1.5milion either claiming benefits or claiming jobs.

It might be an idea to say we are going to impose restrictions on migration, for 10 years until we get this sorted and under control.

Like most of my friends I worked and lived in Europe before and after we joined the EU and for me life became much easier after we joined. I was involved in scientific research and after joining the movement of equipment and people became so much easier, all the reams of paper work and customs duty disappeared overnight. Later I set up my own business, with some help with funding from the EU, I personalty have a lot to thank the EU for. Now I am approaching my dotage I was even thinking of moving over to one of the warmer parts of the EU to spend my winters and money, maybe not a good idea now.

I have been saying on this forum, for a long, long time, that the issue isn't with the EU, it is with the UK. Merkel is just repeating that message.

Leaving the EU won't fix the inherent problem, migrants will still come and will still be eligible for certain benefits that they wouldn't be eligible for anywhere in the world.

Another big issue, one that you can easily uncover on here when trying, is that too many Brits think that somehow leaving the EU will magically make all problems with non-British people go away, including Pakistani users of the dialysis unit at hospitals for example.

How are you Frederick1?

Agreed. Its an internal problem we have to be strong and sort first. The eu just takes more than it gives to uk.

This is symptomatic of the confusion regarding this debate: how is leaving the EU going to stop illegal immigrants? It isn't, in fact it is likely that decreased opportunities to cooperate with EU border forces will have a negative impact on illegal immigration.

Regarding unskilled: The majority of immigrants have skills that are needed in this country. The other day I was up in Scotland, the middle of nowhere at a very posh shopping mall called House of Bruar, almost all employees were Eastern European immigrants, the reason is simple, nobody in the area wants to work for under 10£ an hour.

The same goes for Lincolnshire, Boston is one of the prime destinations for unskilled EU immigrant workers, the reason is that they are actually prepared to spend 14 hours a day on their knees in the mud when it comes to harvesting season and don't moan when they get laid off when the work is done.

If you don't believe me, go and have a chat with the farmers in that area, they will all tell you that they need this workforce to ensure prices stay low and the work gets done.

Another daft concept that I keep coming across that you don't hear people about: "They come here for the benefits!"

Yeah, because on JSA it is great living in the UK. Finding a place to live for 85 quid a week is difficult enough, never mind the sustenance costs here are about 50% higher than they are in Eastern Europe.

If I move to Slovakia then I am entitled to the benefits in Slovakia. If a Slovakian moves to the UK then they become entitled to the benefits in the UK.

The free movement of people for employment might be a good thing, but the free movement of people for benefits seems a bit crazy.

Are they going to give you a house to live in, feed your kids and give you money to live off?