Germany fires warning to britain over migration reform

This is symptomatic of the confusion regarding this debate: how is leaving the EU going to stop illegal immigrants? It isn't, in fact it is likely that decreased opportunities to cooperate with EU border forces will have a negative impact on illegal immigration.

Regarding unskilled: The majority of immigrants have skills that are needed in this country. The other day I was up in Scotland, the middle of nowhere at a very posh shopping mall called House of Bruar, almost all employees were Eastern European immigrants, the reason is simple, nobody in the area wants to work for under 10£ an hour.

The same goes for Lincolnshire, Boston is one of the prime destinations for unskilled EU immigrant workers, the reason is that they are actually prepared to spend 14 hours a day on their knees in the mud when it comes to harvesting season and don't moan when they get laid off when the work is done.

If you don't believe me, go and have a chat with the farmers in that area, they will all tell you that they need this workforce to ensure prices stay low and the work gets done.

Another daft concept that I keep coming across that you don't hear people about: "They come here for the benefits!"

Yeah, because on JSA it is great living in the UK. Finding a place to live for 85 quid a week is difficult enough, never mind the sustenance costs here are about 50% higher than they are in Eastern Europe.

I didn't say leaving the eu would solve all our problems, you did.

Ive known hungarians and polish people and what they tell me about conditions in their country, trust me the uk is a paradise.

I have been saying on this forum, for a long, long time, that the issue isn't with the EU, it is with the UK. Merkel is just repeating that message.

Leaving the EU won't fix the inherent problem, migrants will still come and will still be eligible for certain benefits that they wouldn't be eligible for anywhere in the world.

Another big issue, one that you can easily uncover on here when trying, is that too many Brits think that somehow leaving the EU will magically make all problems with non-British people go away, including Pakistani users of the dialysis unit at hospitals for example.

How are you Frederick1?

Fixing it is difficult. Pretending it's somebody else's problem is easy.

My wife works in A&E and she estimates that a third of the people that turn up for treatment aren't entitled to free treatment, but they get it anyway. Dealing with the problem is confrontational and difficult, shrugging shoulders and treating them so they leave is much easier.

You're right, we need to get our own house in order.

It must be for some countries...some of them must get more back than they put in..

That depends on how you measure it. If you look purely at net contribution and gross contribution than yes, but there are plenty of other factors involved.

The Polish government is quite anxious about this whole topic because they have seen a brain drain over recent years with their top graduates heading out to other EU countries to get better paid jobs. On the flipside they now have opportunities to expand their business beyond their borders.

Trying to measure things like this is practically impossible.

---------- Post added 03-11-2014 at 12:57 ----------

Because bootboy mentality is so much more fun..

I don't know that expression :(

Anyway, thanks all for an entertaining lunch-time discussion.

This EU-immigrant is back to work.