Can anyone help me with genealogy?

I wanted to find out as much as possible about my wonderful gran who led a very interesting life if the stories are to be believed.

Only I'm crap at ancestry and things Don't seem to add up.

Her maiden name was Nora Donnelly. No idea on parents names as we were led to believe they both died by the time she was 9.

Her birth date should be 27 March 1923 in the north east area

The only problem is the only birth I can find in 1923 for Nora Donnelly was registered in JUN 1923? In South Shields.

Can anyone who knows what they're doing find an exact DOB? Thankyou all in advance xx

Edited by Bethsmummy

The registration of births are done within a 3 month period so if she was born at the end of March she may not have been registered by her parents until the April which would come within what is called the June quarter - hence her birth being registered as June.

The records state she died 27th Feb 1995.

Edited by Daven

The registration of births are done within a 3 month period so if she was born at the end of March she may not have been registered by her parents until the April which would come within what is called the June quarter - hence her birth being registered as June.

The records state she died 27th Feb 1995.

Oh I see. I didn't see a linked death date? That is her then!!!

Thanks a lot :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Accordind to Family Search if this is the right Nora then her mother's maiden names was Coyne. From that you should be able to find the marriage.:)

Name: Nora Donnelly

Event Type: Birth Registration

Registration Quarter: Apr-May-Jun

Registration Year: 1923

Registration District: South Shields

County: Durham

Event Place: South Shields, Durham, England

Mother's Maiden Name (not available before 1911 Q3): Coyne

Volume: 10A

Page: 1723

Line Number: 113

---------- Post added 03-11-2014 at 15:50 ----------

Looks like this could have been their marriage so you can now look them up in 1911 Census.:)

Marriages Dec 1905

COYNE Mary Alice S. Shields 10a 1361

DONNELLY Michael Thomas S. Shields 10a 1361

Accordind to Family Search if this is the right Nora then her mother's maiden names was Coyne. From that you should be able to find the marriage.:)

Name: Nora Donnelly

Event Type: Birth Registration

Registration Quarter: Apr-May-Jun

Registration Year: 1923

Registration District: South Shields

County: Durham

Event Place: South Shields, Durham, England

Mother's Maiden Name (not available before 1911 Q3): Coyne

Volume: 10A

Page: 1723

Line Number: 113

---------- Post added 03-11-2014 at 15:50 ----------

Looks like this could have been their marriage so you can now look them up in 1911 Census.:)

Marriages Dec 1905

COYNE Mary Alice S. Shields 10a 1361

DONNELLY Michael Thomas S. Shields 10a 1361

Thanks for this.

I found this info myself earlier today.

I think they may well be my great grandparents as her stories tie with the dates. She told us she lost her mum when she was very young.....Mary Alice died in 1925 (so gran would've been 2)

Then she told us she was completely orphaned by 9....Michael Thomas Donnelly died in 1932....spot on - nan would've been 9 in 1932.

Wow it would seem her life really was as sad as her portrayal. The only way to confirm all this is ordering a copy of nans birth certificate. Which I intend to do. I've been to Sheffield register office today for a birth certificate of nans other daughter who died soon after birth. Hopefully this will reveal my grandfather's occupation at the time.

I also found out something I never knew. Nan married my grandad at 7 month pregnant :o:o and although she was 28 at the time it must've been frowned upon in the very early 50's

---------- Post added 03-11-2014 at 16:46 ----------

According to the 1911 census Mary alice had 3 children aged 6, 4 & 2

I know my nan had 9 siblings so plenty of time between 1911 and 1923 to pop out another 7 lol.

I really think it is them!!!

---------- Post added 03-11-2014 at 16:56 ----------

It's not an easy task Bethsmummy this genealogy lark!

I've been at it for over a year but eventually it pays off. I now have traced my family back to the 1600s!

Keep at it!

It really is quite fun...and emotional too.

I was told through the grapevine My nan had a little girl who was premature and passed away. Although I couldn't confirm this account as true I am very interested indeed simply because my life has been blighted by premature birth including the loss of a daughter of my own due to prematurity.

Anyhow. I've found the babies registered birth and death today so it would appear this story is true too.

I've visited Sheffield register office today and ordered a copy of the lost baby girls death certificate. I've got a few days wait for the copy but hopefully it will state a cause of death.

On the 1911 Census it says Michael was a Furness Labourer in ship builder.

These are the other children apparently.

Births Sep 1911 )

Donnelly Alice Coyne S. Shields 10a 1834

Surname First name(s) Mother District Vol Page

Births Dec 1913

Donnelly Phyllis Coyne S.Shields 10a 1799

Births Sep 1916

Donnelly Edward Coyne S.Shields 10a 1614

Births Mar 1919

Donnelly Patrick Coyne S. Shields 10a 1330

Births Mar 1920

Donnelly Philip Coyne S. Shields 10a 2376

Births Jun 1923