Can anyone help me with genealogy?

Have to tell you that you may be in for a bit of a disappointment as far as tracing your family too far back is concerned.

Both Donnelly and Coyne are Irish names, and unless they were Rich, Famous or Protestant you won't be able go much further back than the early 1800s.

To give you an example, my fathers English family was traced back to 1706 with relative ease, helped by the fact that the direct male line remained in Sheffield throughout that time.

Whilst my mothers Irish family had remained in Clare, the information stopped in 1812.

Records were kept by the Church and the Catholic Church was banned in Ireland under British rule and the 'Penal Laws' up until the early 1800s.

Most Irish immigration to England occurred during the 'Famine' of the mid 1800s.

Having said which, the earliest Irish immigrants to Sheffield were metal craftsmen attracted by Sheffield's growing reputation in metalwork over 600 years ago, so you may be fortunate there. :)

It's a fascinating subject so good luck with it.

On the 1911 Census it says Michael was a Furness Labourer in ship builder.

These are the other children apparently.

Births Sep 1911 )

Donnelly Alice Coyne S. Shields 10a 1834

Surname First name(s) Mother District Vol Page

Births Dec 1913

Donnelly Phyllis Coyne S.Shields 10a 1799

Births Sep 1916

Donnelly Edward Coyne S.Shields 10a 1614

Births Mar 1919

Donnelly Patrick Coyne S. Shields 10a 1330

Births Mar 1920

Donnelly Philip Coyne S. Shields 10a 2376

Births Jun 1923

Donnelly Nora Coyne S.Shields 10a 1723

Births Dec 1924

Donnelly James Coyne S.Shields 10a 1528

This is wonderful. Thankyou so much. So it is the right family. Although the 1911 census shows three further children which I don't think are on your list. Let me just go back and check. XX