Holiday pay ruling to impact millions of workers

I wouldn't take back pay off my staff. Never have, never would. Total rubbish. I have an agreement with them, why would I change that? What I object to is people telling me how I can employ people and moving the goalposts.

Kind of like the government are doing with the fire services pensions and contracts? Moving the goal posts?

---------- Post added 04-11-2014 at 18:36 ----------

This isn't a new law that's being passed though, it is an examination and judgement of a few cases brought to court under existing laws.

Basically, this ruling is putting a stop to something that employers have been getting away with for quite some time?

So if you got an electric bill with a letter saying "oh yeah - you know that electricity you had 6 months ago? Well we need more money for it." Would that be ok?

They do though don't they, but it goes something like - now we've read your meter our estimated bill that you've paid is down, can you please pay the difference.

Kind of like the government are doing with the fire services pensions and contracts? Moving the goal posts?

Perhaps they have a ridiculously good deal over the rest of the people who actually pay their wages. Perhaps everyone is going to have to work longer as we have an ageing population and a whole host of immigrants to support. But that's for another discussion, not this one.

Basically, this ruling is putting a stop to something that employers have been getting away with for quite some time?

They are moving the goalposts. No one has been getting away with anything. They have changed the rules. From Europe. Against the will of the elected UK government. I was unsure, but now I know which way I'm going to vote when the Tories win the election and offer us an In/Out Referendum.

---------- Post added 04-11-2014 at 19:11 ----------

They do though don't they, but it goes something like - now we've read your meter our estimated bill that you've paid is down, can you please pay the difference.

No it isn't anything like that. It's like them saying

Now we've read your meter, you've used the electricity you've used, but the agreement we have over the pricing, well that didn't take into account an increase in our worker's wages and we're going to raise you KWH hour rate by 10% from NOW. Yes I know we had a signed and agreed deal, but WTH we're doing it anyway.

Some employers have been getting away with.

The clue's in the word overtime. It's overtime, different.

At all the places where I have worked, overtime has been voluntary. Some employees want as much money/overtime as they can get, others none at all. To respect the fact that it is different to normal working hours, the rate of pay has been higher but the pay has been excluded from pensionable pay. Banks will likely not take overtime payments, or bonus payments, into account when considering loans. Should they be forced to?

To fact is that the employee will agree to the terms before deciding to work overtime. Sometimes it can be a flexible as "help me out in the morning and there's an extra £100 in you pay packet".

The fact that some employers might see the use of overtime as a way of "getting away with it" cannot be disputed, but the fact is that most do not see it that way. Overtime on the whole is a simple and fair way of introducing some flexibility to the benefit of both employees and employers.

This ruling is one based on mistrust, the idea that most employers are like some employers.

All this will do is add more complication and cost to the running of a business, and less choice and pay for employees.

Perhaps they have a ridiculously good deal over the rest of the people who actually pay their wages. Perhaps everyone is going to have to work longer as we have an ageing population and a whole host of immigrants to support. But that's for another discussion, not this one.

Perhaps employers should have been allowing overtime to count as holiday pay in the first place!

I love it when employees get one up on employers.

From my own point of view, any overtime I work is in time accrual so every now and then I can have a day off. I generally work around 6-10 minutes overtime a day, so I get about 2 days off a year which comes in handy. I have the option to work over at the weekend, at the employer’s discretion, and get paid extra. Although I’m not keen on this mainly because I’m too tired to be effective, but some work-shy fops love it. I don’t find that sort of behaviour acceptable. As it stands I don’t stand to benefit much by this policy.

From my own point of view, any overtime I work is in time accrual so every now and then I can have a day off. I generally work around 6-10 minutes overtime a day, so I get about 2 days off a year which comes in handy. I have the option to work over at the weekend, at the employer’s discretion, and get paid extra. Although I’m not keen on this mainly because I’m too tired to be effective, but some work-shy fops love it. I don’t find that sort of behaviour acceptable. As it stands I don’t stand to benefit much by this policy.

you actually claim overtime for 6-10 minutes a day worked over???????:o:o:o:roll: jesssuuus your poor boss i would be time and motion studying you on a daily basis:hihi:

you actually claim overtime for 6-10 minutes a day worked over???????:o:o:o:roll: jesssuuus your poor boss i would be time and motion studying you on a daily basis:hihi:

I don't claim anything, time starts from when I clock in in the morning to when I clock out and go home - The earliest I can leave is 3pm. Providing I get my monthly allotted hours of around 150, I think, anything over that time is time in lieu. If I have enough time credit to have a day off work, built up over a few months, I can do but the time off work is taken off my accrual as you’d expect. If I go below so many hours, I get a warning and disciplined. That’s the agreement I signed up to – I always prefer to be in credit as a personal comfort zone, just in case. And yes, we are constantly under TMS conditions (every day, forever).

---------- Post added 05-11-2014 at 09:00 ----------

Yesterday on Radio 4 a union official said that the judgement applies to compulsory overtime not voluntary overtime.

No doubt employers and shareholders will appeal