Is your car ready for winter?

With the vast bulk of crashes being down to driver error, maybe the question should be: "Are you and your vehicle ready for Winter?" (With emphasis on the YOU).

So, thinking beyond winter tyres and screen wash, I would reflect on how/where/when the darkness, wetness, cold would affect my abilities and my car.

- would I want to see and be seen? ("looking but not seeing" is one factor of several in 4 out of 10 crashes). Does that involve clean windscreen and mirrors, fully demisted, wiped, cleared (of moisture, dirt, snow) prior to setting off. Do I realise that I have enough blind spots without adding to them. Does that involve checking regularly that all my lights are working and having spare bulbs to replace on the spot any that do blow? Will I remember that my daytime running lights only work at the front (generally)? In the dark and wet, at junctions do I look and look again?

- would I want to stay legal and be a team-player in not dazzling/blinding those around me with brake lights permanently on whilst stood at a red light (what is the hand brake for?). Would I recognise that fog-lights dazzle so must be turned off when visibility is better than specified in the HC as poor visibility (100 metres) and that I don't need them on when I can see and be seen by those ahead/behind me (in a moving or static queue). When I park up on the wrong side of the road in the dark, will I remember to turn to side lights only to avoid dazzling oncoming drivers?

- would I want to know that my tyres will perform as they should in the dry, cold, wet by being correctly inflated. (How often do I physically check them as distinct from giving them a kick.). Would I know what tread each of my tyres has left and how the tread's water dispersal performance falls away dramatically at tread depths below 3mm (

) and, with that knowledge, drive in the wet at speeds and with space ahead of me to suit. Without using all-weather or winter tyres does my pace and space ahead reflect my knowledge that my tyres have gone hard at temperatures below 7 degrees C?

Traffic jams are the biggest problems caused by snow and ice in Sheffield.

Many will sit in their car when if they had thought things through they could have parked up and walked. Plan ahead.

Often the main roads are passable but jammed because as you get closer to your residential area the side roads are blocked by cars.

People have been stuck for 2-3 hours in Broomhill in the evening rush hour trying to get to Crookes. Park in the empty car parks around the hospital/university, go for a meal, 15 minute walk home and get up early.

If you have to drive please do not leave the goodies in the boot. You might not be able to get into it/get wet feet.

Also carry water/orange juice/chocolate/boiled sweets/sun glasses/wellies.

And lastly would the 4x4 hobbyists stay at home at least until after the rush hour. Two yeas ago there were a significant number who were out to play blocking up Crosspool.

Mine will be getting the winter tyres on soon (they do make a heck of a difference in snow - not only for getting up hills, but for stopping too...). Fluids et al are done as a matter of course. Car will stay at home if there is an option to walk/bike, but then it tends to anyhow.

As an aside, it never ceases to amaze me the number of people who will sit in stationary traffic for hours, when they actually live 2 miles from their destination...

For my winter prep I:

Take off wheels and inspect the brakes, wheels, tyres and wheel arch liners to ensure they're not loose or damaged (the power steering pump and ABS unit are behind mine and susceptible to water ingress).

Check over the engine bay, ensure there are no mystery leaks or exposed wiring. Give all electrical connections a squirt with electrical contact cleaner.

There are some really good and cheap cans of cleaners and sealants at Toolstation:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automotive/d60/Lubricants+Sprays/sd2795

Have a quick look underneath to make sure the exhaust and everything else is OK

Make sure the door and boot rubber seals are clean and keeping out water. Also check headlights and boot light clusters for any condensation or water ingress.

Make sure there's no leaves and crud accumulated in the water run-off channels around the bonnet and boot area.

Check and top up all fluids and filters - particularly the pollen filter which may have leaves trapped in it.

It might seem a bit extreme but I'd rather do preventative maintenance work on a fairly warm autumn weekend day rather than fixing a problem at the side of the road in the dark and in terrible weather.

Give all electrical connections a squirt with electrical contact cleaner.

There are some really good and cheap cans of cleaners and sealants at Toolstation:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automotive/d60/Lubricants+Sprays/sd2795.

Please remember that WD40 is not an electrical contact cleaner or even very good at removing water despite what it may say on the tin. The stuff referenced above is way way way better than WD40 for electrics.