Britain's richest MP forcing people from their homes!

It's already a profitable business. There's 90 families that will be made homeless!!

Will they be homeless though or will they just be changing home? I wouldn't mind waging that not a single family ends up on the streets.

The market dictates the rental prices and, whilst I find it somewhat obscene when individuals hold so much wealth, I don't think he should be obliged to effectively subsidise his tenants. Why should his tenants get preferential treatment to the other tenants renting from a different landlord at the market rate?

Because rich people with no morals are willing to turn that healthy profit into a huge profit at the cost of other people's lives!

Poor answer reply which does not answer my question.

The Council for some reason have decided to sell this block of flats, knowing full well that people on subsided rents will face hardship or will not be able to afford the new rent.

The Council should not be selling subsided flats they are clearly making a profit on.

Also, there seems to be some nice cars parked in the parking spaces.

Was it? I've seen nothing to suggest that there was any 'premise' about rents.

Clearly that isn't what the "average" Londoner can afford, if it was then that would be the market rate.

If you run a business and you have a choice about charging market rate or some massively discounted rate, why would you not charge the market rate? You don't care who's paying it, so long as someone is. Businesses exist to make profit, not to provide subsidised housing to people in London.

I would charge a discounted rate because I'd feel disgusted with myself that people would be forced out of their family homes. Homes that they deserve, homes that they've worked hard for. I'd also take into account that I was already a multi millionaire and didn't need to go to such drastic measures to increase my income. I'd also take into account that the properties were already making a nice profit.

Someone needs to provide subsidised housing in London. Where are these people going to live without it??

---------- Post added 07-11-2014 at 11:53 ----------

Will they be homeless though or will they just be changing home? I wouldn't mind waging that not a single family ends up on the streets.

The market dictates the rental prices and, whilst I find it somewhat obscene when individuals hold so much wealth, I don't think he should be obliged to effectively subsidise his tenants. Why should his tenants get preferential treatment to the other tenants renting from a different landlord at the market rate?

They'll either be moving into hostels or have to move miles away from their friends, family and places of work.

---------- Post added 07-11-2014 at 11:56 ----------

Poor answer reply which does not answer my question.

The Council for some reason have decided to sell this block of flats, knowing full well that people on subsided rents will face hardship or will not be able to afford the new rent.

The Council should not be selling subsided flats they are clearly making a profit on.

Also, there seems to be some nice cars parked in the parking spaces.

I didn't say the flats belonged to the council before. I think they were privately owned before. There's some nice cars in the parking spaces?? What's that got to do with anything? These people are hard working professionals. Some of them might be able to afford decent cars?!? You can pick up a good motor for five or six grand today. You can also get a 4/5 year old car on finance for about £80-£100/pm.

I didn't say the flats belonged to the council before. I think they were privately owned before. There's some nice cars in the parking spaces?? What's that got to do with anything? These people are hard working professionals. Some of them might be able to afford decent cars?!? You can pick up a good motor for five or six grand today. You can also get a 4/5 year old car on finance for about £80-£100/pm.

Which means they can choose to pay the higher rent or find a cheaper property.

Which means they can choose to pay the higher rent or find a cheaper property.

Choose to pay £2,88/pm? How can a nurse afford to do that? How can they find a cheaper property in Hoxton, which has now become 'trendy'? They'll be moved miles from their place of work. Families will be separated and the community will be gone. All for the sake of a bigger profit.

Choose to pay £2,88/pm? How can a nurse afford to do that? How can they find a cheaper property in Hoxton, which has now become 'trendy'? They'll be moved miles from their place of work. Families will be separated and the community will be gone. All for the sake of a bigger profit.

Its not the new owners problem, that is a problem for the tenants to solve, demand for property in London is high and for prices to fall demand will have to fall.

Its not the new owners problem, that is a problem for the tenants to solve, demand for property in London is high and for prices to fall demand will have to fall.

It's looking like it is the current owners problem. Those tenants aren't going anywhere fast, and rightly so!

Solved with an eviction order for none payment of rent which will make it much harder for the tenants to acquire an new property.

This is what happens when people take action and get things done themselves. I hope the families in question on this thread can get their campaign to gather as much momentum. The only way round this is to get so much bad press for Benyon that he either backs down, or gets told to back down by Cameron.

Something is not quite right here. How is it the previous landlord allowed the rent to be so low in this up and coming area for these tenants, when other tenants on the estate are paying market rent? Unless of course the tenants are on benefits and they come under the cap.

Why don't the tenants appeal to the Rent Assessment Committee, it's a free service.