Petrol prices not falling fast enough

Ummm....I've just seen the news where George Osbourne is apparently complaing that the oil companies aren't reducing the prices fast enough or by as much as the drop in oil prices...Brilliant!!

However, I heard this morning...again on the news the government is also considering (we know what that means) raising the duty on fuel using the 'escalator' calculation.

Isn't this simply cynicism from the government? Ordering the oil companies to reduce the price, so they can add duty on it, hoping Joe Public won't notice?

Just dropped to below 3 dollars a gallon in the USA.
It dropped from $3.75 to $2.91 a gallon in just over a week in Connecticut. Wonderful news. The stock market is responding in response. More cash for Christmas.:)

Ummm....I've just seen the news where George Osbourne is apparently complaing that the oil companies aren't reducing the prices fast enough or by as much as the drop in oil prices...Brilliant!!

However, I heard this morning...again on the news the government is also considering (we know what that means) raising the duty on fuel using the 'escalator' calculation.

Isn't this simply cynicism from the government? Ordering the oil companies to reduce the price, so they can add duty on it, hoping Joe Public won't notice?

No, it's called trying to pull the wool over peoples' eyes, otherwise known as electioneering