Old boy network?

What is it with you and revolution all the time....?

Current cabinet: 4 went to comprehensive Schools, 5 went to Grammar schools, and 13 went to public school.

And this is the baby boomer generation when there were still grammar schools and free higher education. That sort of social mobility is becoming a thing of the past.

Its you talking about it in other threads and how you want to dismantle the government and start some new fangled politics which is different to anything else in the world before... lol

Right, yes, but dunno, as usual no link!

My link was on about the government as a whole. So, that probably means that the majority of the Labour party didn't go to public schools and could be part of the reason why we're in this mess, which coincidently is why the current government is having to implement austerity measures. I also noticed earlier that you blamed the current government for the austerity measures but I didn't get to point out that it was the last lots fault and that the current ones are doing better than the majority of the EU and the US. But hey whats a little truth and history got to do with anything when we have R Brand to brainwash us with nonsense hey?

Its you talking about it in other threads and how you want to dismantle the government and start some new fangled politics which is different to anything else in the world before... lol

Right, yes, but dunno, as usual no link!

My link was on about the government as a whole. So, that probably means that the majority of the Labour party didn't go to public schools and could be part of the reason why we're in this mess, which coincidently is why the current government is having to implement austerity measures. I also noticed earlier that you blamed the current government for the austerity measures but I didn't get to point out that it was the last lots fault and that the current ones are doing better than the majority of the EU and the US. But hey whats a little truth and history got to do with anything when we have R Brand to brainwash us with nonsense hey?

Labour is just as elitist as the Conservatives, Harriet Harman for instance is the neice of the Countess of Pakenham and cousin of Lady Antonia Fraser, Ed Balls went to public school and is the brother of the Head of European Operations in Pimco Bonds and Investments, and so on. All this information is freely available on Wikipedia if you take the trouble to look.

Of the shadow cabinet 8 went to fee paying schools, 2 went to Grammar schools, and 6 went to OXbridge.

Why do you think we are saying there's no difference between the parties?

-None of them represent the man in the street. Politics is now a rich man's game. Dennis Skinner is the last of a dying breed, last of old Labour and a relic of the past. We won't see his like again.

If you've read my previous posts you'll be aquainted with the fact that I blame neither Labour nor Conservatives for the financial crisis or subsequent austerity measures, I blame, and always will blame, the bankers.

Frankly, I think you're living in the past, and have failed to grasp the seismic shift that occurred with the fallout from the collapse of the banks. Nothing is going to be the same again.

We are barely at the start of the austerity measures, and it won't stop until we are all beggered and we become the new third world. It will happen because there is no one on our side, and no one to stop it. Only the super rich will survive in their ivory towers, while we have to survive on the crumbs.

Labour is just as elitist as the Conservatives, Harriet Harman for instance is the neice of the Countess of Pakenham and cousin of Lady Antonia Fraser, Ed Balls went to public school and is the brother of the Head of European Operations in Pimco Bonds and Investments, and so on. All this information is freely available on Wikipedia if you take the trouble to look.

Of the shadow cabinet 8 went to fee paying schools, 2 went to Grammar schools, and 6 went to OXbridge.

Why do you think we are saying there's no difference between the parties?

-None of them represent the man in the street. Politics is now a rich man's game. Dennis Skinner is the last of a dying breed, last of old Labour and a relic of the past. We won't see his like again.

If you've read my previous posts you'll be aquainted with the fact that I blame neither Labour nor Conservatives for the financial crisis or subsequent austerity measures, I blame, and always will blame, the bankers.

Frankly, I think you're living in the past, and have failed to grasp the seismic shift that occurred with the fallout from the collapse of the banks. Nothing is going to be the same again.

We are barely at the start of the austerity measures, and it won't stop until we are all beggered and we become the new third world. It will happen because there is no one on our side, and no one to stop it. Only the super rich will survive in their ivory towers, while we have to survive on the crumbs.

But as I said on another thread there are examples of Oxbridge educated Members of Parliament who are aware of their privileged position and are independent minded enough not to be lobby fodder. Granted the examples I quoted were all from recent history, and have sadly passed away.

I do think that although rightly we focus on MPs, because they are the most visible members of the establishment, we shouldn't lose sight of other members of the establishment, who like them, are increasingly drawn from privileged backgrounds: such as senior civil servants, the media, and the financial elite. As inequality widens, so the net from which the establishment is drawn covers fewer and fewer people.

It's even reflected in the music we listen to...So much so that the Daily Mail was complaining that public school singers are taking over the charts! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1335880/Public-school-singers-pop-charts-60-acts-privately-educated.html

As for why politicians all sound the same, I think political orthodoxy is very conservative at present, and special advisers are from the same generic background, had the same limited experiences, read the same books, mixed at the same universities so it doesn't surprise me that they all sound the same.

But as I said on another thread there are examples of Oxbridge educated Members of Parliament who are aware of their privileged position and are independent minded enough not to be lobby fodder. Granted the examples I quoted were all from recent history, and have sadly passed away.

I do think that although rightly we focus on MPs, because they are the most visible members of the establishment, we shouldn't lose sight of other members of the establishment, who like them, are increasingly drawn from privileged backgrounds: such as senior civil servants, the media, and the financial elite. As inequality widens, so the net from which the establishment is drawn covers fewer and fewer people.

It's even reflected in the music we listen to...So much so that the Daily Mail was complaining that public school singers are taking over the charts! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1335880/Public-school-singers-pop-charts-60-acts-privately-educated.html

As for why politicians all sound the same, I think political orthodoxy is very conservative at present, and special advisers are from the same generic background, had the same limited experiences, read the same books, mixed at the same universities so it doesn't surprise me that they all sound the same.

I totally agree. If you look at the table I used, it gives the figures for most of the 'establishment' professions. It's worth noting none of the Oxbridge set even register in sufficient numbers in the caring professions; doctors, social workers, teachers etc. to even make the list.

I think the fact that the privately educated are even taking over in the field of the arts and certain sports, which should after all be purely about talent, (and therefore a level playing field for all to compete upon,) speaks volumes about access and contacts.

Edited by Anna B