The Tickled Trout Barlow

monzaman

Hi All,Just wondered if anybody has had a meal at this pub/restaurant,

I fancy going there for a family occasion special meal so i am just trying to gather some info on it before i make my mind up.I have been past it a couple of times and think it looks well after being refurbished but don't know anyone whose has had a meal there to ask there opinion.

http://www.tickledtroutbarlow.com/

hope someone can help,

thanks,yours manorblade

Hi All,Just wondered if anybody has had a meal at this pub/restaurant,

I fancy going there for a family occasion special meal so i am just trying to gather some info on it before i make my mind up.I have been past it a couple of times and think it looks well after being refurbished but don't know anyone whose has had a meal there to ask there opinion.

http://www.tickledtroutbarlow.com/

hope someone can help,

thanks,yours manorblade

Went two weeks ago for a Sunday lunch for a friends birthday. There were 23 of us in the private room upstairs which was very nice. The menu was restricted due to the number in our party but had a very good Beef Dinner.

Excellent staff as well would definitely go back

Went two weeks ago for a Sunday lunch for a friends birthday. There were 23 of us in the private room upstairs which was very nice. The menu was restricted due to the number in our party but had a very good Beef Dinner.

Excellent staff as well would definitely go back

Thanks for answering,when you say restricted was there still enough choice to satisfy everyone and also did you have to wait long for your meal,sorry for all the questions,i just want the meal to be a big success as i am organising it:help:

Thanks for answering,when you say restricted was there still enough choice to satisfy everyone and also did you have to wait long for your meal,sorry for all the questions,i just want the meal to be a big success as i am organising it:help:

We basically had a choice of Beef or Pork for mains which we pre-ordered, Soup for starters but any dessert . I would imagine your availability will depend on the size of your party. The service was good for 23 not quite Baldwins but still good

Thanks for the link andy,i stopped reading the star years ago because i found it full of **** but nice to see it does have some use:hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 07-11-2014 at 22:47 ----------

We basically had a choice of Beef or Pork for mains which we pre-ordered, Soup for starters but any dessert . I would imagine your availability will depend on the size of your party. The service was good for 23 not quite Baldwins but still good

Thanks Veritas,I am still undecided as to whether to book ,not because of the pub but because of the problems involved with getting everyone there as we will all be drinking:help:

Thanks for the link andy,i stopped reading the star years ago because i found it full of **** but nice to see it does have some use:hihi::hihi:

Thanks Veritas,I am still undecided as to whether to book ,not because of the pub but because of the problems involved with getting everyone there as we will all be drinking:help:

That's the only problem with going to places like this and The Devonshire Arms at Middle Handley you either need the expense of a Taxi/Mini bus depending on numbers or somebody has to drive

I am lucky as my other half did not mind driving so we had a total of 5 none drinkers in our group who undertook the driving duties and four going back in a taxi as their driver left early and did not drink

indeed, the bus service in Barlow only runs during the daytime... http://www.derbysbus.info/times/timetables/016M-131027.pdf otherwise you are looking at taxis. Mercury are normally a reasonable choice, they have a Dronfield office.

Yes, I've been there. I thought it was very pleasant. I can't really say much more than that, but I'll try...

So, they've done a nice job of refurbing it, there's a nice conservatory, albeit rather small, but the surroundings are nice.

They've got a few decent real ales on too, not the usual ubiquitous big brewer rubbish either. And they have a nice selection of wines by the glass.

The menu leans towards Italian type fare. A bit pizza and pasta ish, but they do have other things as well, and a few specials. The choice is a bit limited but the cooking and presentation is good. It's not a place I would go to for a fine meal as such, it's more snacking type stuff, pizza, pasta, burger, pulled pork sandwiches, that sort of thing. But nicely done.

I did ask if they did a Sunday lunch. They can do something to order but there's no carvery as such, and they were keen to point out, "We still do pizza's on Sundays". I don't think they'd really understood that I was looking for a tradtional Sunday roast y'see!

Anyhow, I would go back again, for a burger, or a pizza or a pulled pork sandwich with a little bowl of chips served on a cheeseboard. But not for what I would call a proper dinner.

---------- Post added 11-11-2014 at 07:21 ----------

I wasn't that impressed with the Tickled Trout.

If I were going to the trouble of dining out in the sticks I'd go to the Gate at Overgreen. It is consistently good.

I'm fascinated. Where is the Gate at Overgreen? I know the Gate at Cutthorpe and the Gate at Troway, but Overgreen is a new one on me?