The Tickled Trout Barlow

monzaman

Yes, I've been there. I thought it was very pleasant. I can't really say much more than that, but I'll try...

So, they've done a nice job of refurbing it, there's a nice conservatory, albeit rather small, but the surroundings are nice.

They've got a few decent real ales on too, not the usual ubiquitous big brewer rubbish either. And they have a nice selection of wines by the glass.

The menu leans towards Italian type fare. A bit pizza and pasta ish, but they do have other things as well, and a few specials. The choice is a bit limited but the cooking and presentation is good. It's not a place I would go to for a fine meal as such, it's more snacking type stuff, pizza, pasta, burger, pulled pork sandwiches, that sort of thing. But nicely done.

I did ask if they did a Sunday lunch. They can do something to order but there's no carvery as such, and they were keen to point out, "We still do pizza's on Sundays". I don't think they'd really understood that I was looking for a tradtional Sunday roast y'see!

Anyhow, I would go back again, for a burger, or a pizza or a pulled pork sandwich with a little bowl of chips served on a cheeseboard. But not for what I would call a proper dinner.

---------- Post added 11-11-2014 at 07:21 ----------

I'm fascinated. Where is the Gate at Overgreen? I know the Gate at Cutthorpe and the Gate at Troway, but Overgreen is a new one on me?

Thanks for all the replies,

Derby tup,i love good pizzas and pastas so i am now more tempted than ever:hihi:

---------- Post added 14-11-2014 at 20:38 ----------

Made my decision,we are going to stop at robin hoods bay and go to this pub for our mealhttp://www.fylingdalesinn.co.uk/

I know ,what happened to change our minds:help::help:

We just decided to make a weekend of it,and this pub is lovely,roaring log fire,real ale and good meals:):)

---------- Post added 14-11-2014 at 21:02 ----------

indeed, the bus service in Barlow only runs during the daytime... http://www.derbysbus.info/times/timetables/016M-131027.pdf otherwise you are looking at taxis. Mercury are normally a reasonable choice, they have a Dronfield office.

Hi Andy,too much hassle with the taxis so i decided on a different venue,

See my last post with edit,to see place we are going to now:)