Cyclists Keep Back !!

Do you agree with the new HGV/PCV cyclist advisory sign?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the new HGV/PCV cyclist advisory sign?

• Yes, the new sign is clear and "to the point"
    • No, the new sign make me feel like a second class citizen

Can't say I've ever been enraged whilst cycling, I find it very calming.

With regards to these signs, I have seen them but I don't change my cycling behaviour because of them. I use my own judgement, as i always have done. I don't filter on the left if the gap is narrow or a vehicle I indicating left. Its much safer to filter on the right (overtake).

Your good practice and common sense will help keep you safe on the roads. I commend your attitude.

The bickering can cease now. If you cannot remain civil then please refrain from posting.
Yes, good call. However, I see my reply to post #4 has gone. Can we also see post #4 removed, which was off topic, inciteful and its removal would redress the balance.

thanks

Yes, good call. However, I see my reply to post #4 has gone. Can we also see post #4 removed, which was off topic, inciteful and its removal would redress the balance.

thanks

Without getting involved in a spat, i hate those, i will defend my post (4) by saying that the op stated people were complaining and in post 3 he stated they were enraged. Had those two statements not been made my first post would have been somewhat different. As things stand its totally on topic and relevant. If a mod chooses otherwise then thats their choice as someone who runs the site they can delete what they see fit.

I don't feel that either of the answers described in the poll accurately fit how I feel. It's not clear and to the point - if it's saying that cyclists should not go within n metres of the back of the lorry then it's a nonsensical point. But neither does it make me feel like a second-class citizen. It just makes me feel that the people responsible for its use are rather ignorant.

I have no problem with companies putting signage on their vehicles which might help prevent accidents. But I have a big problem with them doing this instead of educating and holding accountable their staff on safe road use. I got cut up by an nPower van the other day, and as it sped away there was a lecturey note on the back about making sure that you drive/cycle carefully (I can't remember exactly what the wording was).

But overall I'd say I'm less close to being "offended" by this than I am by baby on board stickers.

ok Member, we'll leave it there.

It's not important enough to "hate" as you put it

wish the mod well when you drink with him tonight.

Im happy to leave it there mate but youre wrong to think i have some relationship with the moderator. I dont and i think they could be slightly offended at the inference.

By the way, i only hate having spats, arguments with people. Its unhelpful and not worth the time and effort, thats all i meant :)

---------- Post added 07-11-2014 at 13:49 ----------

I don't feel that either of the answers described in the poll accurately fit how I feel. It's not clear and to the point - if it's saying that cyclists should not go within n metres of the back of the lorry then it's a nonsensical point. But neither does it make me feel like a second-class citizen. It just makes me feel that the people responsible for its use are rather ignorant.

I have no problem with companies putting signage on their vehicles which might help prevent accidents. But I have a big problem with them doing this instead of educating and holding accountable their staff on safe road use. I got cut up by an nPower van the other day, and as it sped away there was a lecturey note on the back about making sure that you drive/cycle carefully (I can't remember exactly what the wording was).

But overall I'd say I'm less close to being "offended" by this than I am by baby on board stickers.

I think attention grabbing stickers are a good thing. Ill give you an example, i once saw one that said "The closer you get the slower i go" It made me chuckle and then i realised, im so close i could read it!!! Sure it was only slow moving traffic (about 5mph) but thats not the point, it made me adjust my driving and gave me a little chuckle too.

Anyone who gets in the least bit offended by a sticker designed to actually benefit them in the long run is just sad and really needs to get some purpose in life.

I think attention grabbing stickers are a good thing. Ill give you an example, i once saw one that said "The closer you get the slower i go" It made me chuckle and then i realised, im so close i could read it!!! Sure it was only slow moving traffic (about 5mph) but thats not the point, it made me adjust my driving and gave me a little chuckle too.

I think that example's a really interesting one, because it's not naively saying "you sort out your driving" (which I have never known anyone to respond positively to), but "I am going to drive exactly how the Highway Code tells me to for both our safety, and if you choose to do otherwise then it's only going to make your journey longer".

Heard an interesting topic on Jeremy Vines show on Radio 2 this lunchtime. Cyclists are annoyed that the "CYCLISTS. Beware Of Passing This Vehicle On The Inside" stickers have been replaced with "CYCLISTS KEEP BACK" on the rear of lorries and buses.

Most riders who phoned or texted in were complaining that this new slogan is arrogant on the part of the motorist.

Do you think this sign is offensive, or does it make a clear statement of the dangers riders face?

The "CYCLISTS KEEP BACK" sign can't be a clear statement of the dangers cyclist face because it doesn't mention what the danger it's warning against actually is. Moreover, some of those drivers who think filtering is illegal will see those signs as an official endorsement of their viewpoint and may behave in a more aggressive manner to cyclists as a result.

The "CYCLISTS. Beware Of Passing This Vehicle On The Inside" sign is far better because it actually describes what it is warning against and can't be seen as a general order to cyclists to keep back regardless of the situation. In addition it will act as a reminder to motorists, especially those who don't already do so, to check their wing mirrors before they turn.

The "CYCLISTS KEEP BACK" sign isn't offensive - it's stupid.

The "CYCLISTS KEEP BACK" sign can't be a clear statement of the dangers cyclist face because it doesn't mention what the danger it's warning against actually is. Moreover, some of those drivers who think filtering is illegal will see those signs as an official endorsement of their viewpoint and may behave in a more aggressive manner to cyclists as a result.

The "CYCLISTS. Beware Of Passing This Vehicle On The Inside" sign is far better because it actually describes what it is warning against and can't be seen as a general order to cyclists to keep back regardless of the situation. In addition it will act as a reminder to motorists, especially those who don't already do so, to check their wing mirrors before they turn.

The "CYCLISTS KEEP BACK" sign isn't offensive - it's stupid.

Why not display a copy of War and Peace for them to read too whist they are at it with that mouthful. Short, Punchy and to the point. Thats how its done.

---------- Post added 07-11-2014 at 14:25 ----------

I think that example's a really interesting one, because it's not naively saying "you sort out your driving" (which I have never known anyone to respond positively to), but "I am going to drive exactly how the Highway Code tells me to for both our safety, and if you choose to do otherwise then it's only going to make your journey longer".

Deliberately slowing your vehicle to impede the progress of other road users is not advice given to you in the Highway Code i can assure you.

Edited by Member