Cyclists Keep Back !!

Do you agree with the new HGV/PCV cyclist advisory sign?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the new HGV/PCV cyclist advisory sign?

• Yes, the new sign is clear and "to the point"
    • No, the new sign make me feel like a second class citizen

You seem to have ignored the questions I put to you.

The length of the message isn't really the issue, you could easily have a shorter version of the longer one.

I dont seem to have ignored anything. Its not for me to say the sign is right or wrong. The thread is to discuss what the radio program was on about. That said, you couldnt really shorten it any further than three words, so if thats the case, what would you rather see? I no longer cycle so my opinion is only that of interest, but you as a cyclist do have a say, or a least an alternative, surely?

I'd agree with that, but the "CYCLISTS KEEP BACK" sign isn't to the point.

Some large vehicles already have pictograms and words telling cyclists not to filter down the left.

And to be honest, I think they were more clear than this rather more ambiguous statement.

Some large vehicles already have pictograms and words telling cyclists not to filter down the left.

And to be honest, I think they were more clear than this rather more ambiguous statement.

The longer signs are much clearer to their meaning, and I agree that the new sign may be abrupt, but it begs the question as to whether the more inexperienced riders may take note that there may be a danger regarding the vehicle that is wearing the new shorter sign?

The longer signs are much clearer to their meaning, and I agree that the new sign may be abrupt, but it begs the question as to whether the more inexperienced riders may take note that there may be a danger regarding the vehicle that is wearing the new shorter sign?

Weren't the images alongside the words really easy to comprehend though, much quicker and clearer than reading something.

That's why we use images alongside words for many things, they just make sense really quickly.

Heard an interesting topic on Jeremy Vines show on Radio 2 this lunchtime. Cyclists are annoyed that the "CYCLISTS. Beware Of Passing This Vehicle On The Inside" stickers have been replaced with "CYCLISTS KEEP BACK" on the rear of lorries and buses.

Most riders who phoned or texted in were complaining that this new slogan is arrogant on the part of the motorist.

Do you think this sign is offensive, or does it make a clear statement of the dangers riders face?

I think it's a bad idea and may even increase the likeliness of a cyclist filtering down the left side of a lorry.

By presenting the message as a command, rather than an advisory warning, some (or many) cyclists will feel annoyed that another road user is trying to tell them what they can or cannot do on the road, then possibly go ahead with the manoeuvre anyway in defiance.

I think it could have been better worded.

I think it's a bad idea and may even increase the likeliness of a cyclist filtering down the left side of a lorry.

By presenting the message as a command, rather than an advisory warning, some (or many) cyclists will feel annoyed that another road user is trying to tell them what they can or cannot do on the road, then possibly go ahead with the manoeuvre anyway in defiance.

I think it could have been better worded.

I dont think a sticker, any sticker will combat such puerile behaviour as youre describing. If as you saying a simple sticker will get many cyclist annoyed enough to risk their lives and the lives of others then maybe they shouldnt be on the road until they get their anger issues under control.

I dont think a sticker, any sticker will combat such puerile behaviour as youre describing. If as you saying a simple sticker will get many cyclist annoyed enough to risk their lives and the lives of others then maybe they shouldnt be on the road until they get their anger issues under control.

The same could be said of drivers though, it's a moot point.

If it had been worded differently, or even included a simple 'please' then it would be less likely that the sticker is interpreted as an arrogant command and more like a request.

The same could be said of drivers though, .

No it couldnt. So to recap, youre now saying the notice isnt polite enough? When did it change from insulting to not polite enough? Anyway, thats not the issue, the issue is angry and aggressive cyclists kicking off about something thats designed to help save their skins.

Tell me, which notice would make you pay attention?

DONT PUT YOUR HEAD IN THE LIONS MOUTH!

or

Please be aware that our lion, Percy is a jolly old fellow. However as hes partial to killing things and eating them we kindly and politely request that if its not too much trouble could you please refrain from resting your weary brow in Percys mouth. Thanks, hugs and kisses from the staff :) :) :)

Edited by Member

It does not offend me, as it's what I do naturally, Sit at the back of long vehicles, Self preservation and all that.

I think this is a good idea:

<a href=Bikeideas-3_zps90e66dfe.jpg' alt='Bikeid

Sorry, could not get it to display the pic.

Would like to see it used over here.

(not the stolen bike part though).

No it couldnt. So to recap, youre now saying the notice isnt polite enough?
No, I'm not saying that

When did it change from insulting to not polite enough?
I haven't claimed either of those things. I said that some will interpret it that way.

Anyway, thats not the issue, the issue is angry and aggressive cyclists kicking off about something thats designed to help save their skins.

Tell me, which notice would make you pay attention?

DONT PUT YOUR HEAD IN THE LIONS MOUTH!

or

Please be aware that our lion, Percy is a jolly old fellow. However as hes partial to killing things and eating them we kindly and politely request that if its not too much trouble could you please refrain from resting your weary brow in Percys mouth. Thanks, hugs and kisses from the staff :) :) :)

Not a like for like comparison. If it was "Stay away from the cage" or "Please stay away from the cage" I'd pay as much attention to either but I'd prefer the latter, every time.

Of course, it wouldn't upset me if it said the former.