Cyclists Keep Back !!

Do you agree with the new HGV/PCV cyclist advisory sign?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the new HGV/PCV cyclist advisory sign?

• Yes, the new sign is clear and "to the point"
    • No, the new sign make me feel like a second class citizen

The same could be said of drivers though, it's a moot point.

If it had been worded differently, or even included a simple 'please' then it would be less likely that the sticker is interpreted as an arrogant command and more like a request.

No, I'm not saying that

I haven't claimed either of those things. I said that some will interpret it that way.

Not a like for like comparison. If it was "Stay away from the cage" or "Please stay away from the cage" I'd pay as much attention to either but I'd prefer the latter, every time.

Of course, it wouldn't upset me if it said the former.

You asked for it to be worded differently maybe including a please. Please if for purposes of politeness so you did mention politeness.

Edited by Member
sounded rather rude and confrontational

You asked for it to be worded differently maybe including a please
I didn't ask for anything to be done at all

Please if for purposes of politeness so you did mention politeness.

...and?

Have you forgotten what you asked me?...

So to recap, youre now saying the notice isnt polite enough?

The answer is still no, that's not what I'm saying.

I find it quite surprising that cyclists are so shocked about simply being asked not to do something so utterly moronic.

Under-taking is generally pretty frowned upon when you're driving a car, but for some reason diving up the inside of busy traffic on a bike is ok??

I find it quite surprising that cyclists are so shocked about simply being asked not to do something so utterly moronic.

Under-taking is generally pretty frowned upon when you're driving a car, but for some reason diving up the inside of busy traffic on a bike is ok??

Personally i just think they are bitching for the sake of bitching. Some are saying they dont like the wording, some dont like the message, its making some angry, its making some sad. These people need to get a grip and stop being so precious.

Filtering through traffic isn't really frowned upon for a car. If a car is turning right, and stopped waiting for a space in oncoming traffic, another car will pass that waiting car if there is space to do so.

Can you explain how the "CYCLISTS KEEP BACK" sign is warning against filtering given that it doesn't mention it? That's what my objection to it is - it's not fit for purpose.

Yes. Filtering though traffic on a bike, whilst taking appropriate care, is OK - that's why it's not against the law. Advanced motorcycle training includes filtering.

So what exactly are you saying?

Exactly what I said in post #56...

I think it's a bad idea and may even increase the likeliness of a cyclist filtering down the left side of a lorry.

By presenting the message as a command, rather than an advisory warning, some (or many) cyclists will feel annoyed that another road user is trying to tell them what they can or cannot do on the road, then possibly go ahead with the manoeuvre anyway in defiance.

I think it could have been better worded.

I haven't said that I want anything changing, I haven't said it's not polite enough, I haven't said that it makes me angry, or anything like that. I'm simply explaining that it could have been worded better.

Personally (as a motorist and cyclist) it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Filtering through traffic isn't really frowned upon for a car. If a car is turning right, and stopped waiting for a space in oncoming traffic, another car will pass that waiting car if there is space to do so.

Filtering through traffic and diving up the inside of a HGV are different things tho.

Squeezing yourself between a lorry and the pavement isn't something you can usually manage in a car, it's only really a bicycle specific problem.

---------- Post added 10-11-2014 at 13:42 ----------

Can you explain how the "CYCLISTS KEEP BACK" sign is warning against filtering given that it doesn't mention it? That's what my objection to it is - it's not fit for purpose.

How do you word a suitable sign for that tho, one that uses few words to get peoples attention???

Clearly "CYCLISTS. Beware Of Passing This Vehicle On The Inside" was too wordy, even tho it was straight to the point.

So it's been cut to three words to grab attention.

Edited by geared

Filtering through traffic and diving up the inside of a HGV are different things tho.

Squeezing yourself between a lorry and the pavement isn't something you can usually manage in a car, it's only really a bicycle specific problem.

Yep filtering through traffic and squeezing yourself between the inside of an HGV are different things, but your post did mention undertaking and driving up the inside of traffic.