Cyclists Keep Back !!

Do you agree with the new HGV/PCV cyclist advisory sign?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the new HGV/PCV cyclist advisory sign?

• Yes, the new sign is clear and "to the point"
    • No, the new sign make me feel like a second class citizen

Yes, but you'd assume if you can drive a car up the inside of traffic you shouldn't be caught in the situation of a large HGV turning across your path.

because you would be in that inside lane and you would be in that position to turn off, not them.

In that case the HGV would be at fault, because you had right of way not them.

How do you word a suitable sign for that tho, one that uses few words to get peoples attention???

Clearly "CYCLISTS. Beware Of Passing This Vehicle On The Inside" was too wordy, even tho it was straight to the point.

So it's been cut to three words to grab attention.

"CYCLISTS. Beware when filtering". Only one word longer and although not perfect is a hell of a lot better than "CYCLISTS. KEEP BACK".

Yes, but you'd assume if you can drive a car up the inside of traffic you shouldn't be caught in the situation of a large HGV turning across your path.

because you would be in that inside lane and you would be in that position to turn off, not them.

In that case the HGV would be at fault, because you had right of way not them.

It's still the HGV at fault if they kill a cyclists. Doesn't help the cyclist though.

---------- Post added 10-11-2014 at 19:40 ----------

I find it quite surprising that cyclists are so shocked about simply being asked not to do something so utterly moronic.

Under-taking is generally pretty frowned upon when you're driving a car, but for some reason diving up the inside of busy traffic on a bike is ok??

Moronic being "getting close"?

I'm just keeping things even sided, valid response to your comment surely!

I have a fair few motorcyclist mates who are / get enraged because of car / van / lorry drivers, they don't just get enraged for no reason!

I agree with you. I'm always interested in the state of mind and degree of alertness of motorists. To me, it's a logical extension of the discussion;that one introduces the "motorist" into this thread. Lucky for me, that having cycled for 55 yrs (30 of them in London),I've never been involved in a serious accident.

In addition , I drive a car. Moving on the inside of a motor vehicle -whilst on my bike- I would avoid; no matter what advice is attached to the vehicle.

Alertness is the defence against an early grave.

I don't think the problem with this is that it makes cyclists feel like second-class citizens. The problem is that it is too blunt an instrument and thereby turns a real danger into perpetuated ignorance.

Some of the buses in Sheffield have these signs: http://cycling.tfgm.com/newsletter/images/beware-of-passing.jpg. They're spot on. They aren't too wordy; they are clear that it's for the cyclists concerned safety; they clearly illustrate exactly the danger which they are seeking to prevent. There are reckless cyclists about, and I actually think that these stickers would have a reasonable chance of making them think twice about such a manoeuvre.

The "cyclists keep back" stickers create a myth that the problem is cyclists catching up with and then overtaking lorries/buses etc. If they can do this safely (which will obviously always be on the outside, with plenty of space) then this is fine.

So it seems to me that what this is actually about is turning a warning about a legitimate danger into an excuse for lorry drivers to attempt to legitimise their dislike of having cyclists on the road alongside and in front of them.

• 1 year later...
Thought
might be appropriate here, quite an eye-opener for anyone who doesn't drive trucks!

I'd have preferred it if they'd kept the cab in line with the trailer. As it is, it looks like they are trying to use an unrepresentative positioning of the cab/trailer to make their point - which somewhat undermines it.