Bakers face legal action over Gay Cake

If they asked someone to make a cake and they wouldn't, why didn't they go and find someone who would?

Interesting that you would say that.

Just a reminder of your signature:

Conservatism is incompatible with democracy, prosperity, and civilization in general. It is a destructive system of inequality and prejudice that is founded on deception and has no place in the modern world. (Divide and conquer)

You can't discriminate as a business
LOL. Meanwhile, in the real world...there's a ton and some of statutory reasons why businesses of all types discriminate custom/enquiries on a daily basis, miscellaneously ranging from health & safety provisions to money laundering regulations, not forgetting such simple non-statutory reasons as credit control or, calling it for what it is, the customer's face.

The legal principle which the Equality Commission and their legal team (obviously humanities-focused, with little experience of commercial law) might want to look up is 'invitation to treat' ;)

You'll be landed with crushing legal fees and paying damages. Well done. Point proven.
I doubt that. Very highly.

The baker didn't do business with someone on the grounds of their sexuality, and thus it is discrimination.
Seems to me the baker only had a problem with gay marriage:
Earlier this year, Ashers Baking Company refused to bake a cake with a pro-gay marriage slogan.
Article doesn't say anything about homophobia.

If you want to pick who you bake cakes for, don't run a public enterprise.
What would you expect a British baker to say when some radical Muslims turn up and ask him to bake a cake with the black IS flag and a photo of Alan Henning on it? Genuine question :) Edited by L00b

What would you expect a British baker to say when some radical Muslims turn up and ask him to bake a cake with the black IS flag and a photo of Alan Henning on it? Genuine question :)

He's free to let the court judge his actions. ;)

Honest answer, I don't know. The balance between running a business and personal views is a legal battlefield - as this case shows.

Out of interest what id the muslim view of homosexuality?

The entrenched Muslims might well hold the same view as this baker, the ones that live in today's world couldn't care less. I had Muslims and gays on my team and it was never an issue.

The entrenched Muslims might well hold the same view as this baker, the ones that live in today's world couldn't care less. I had Muslims and gays on my team and it was never an issue.

As it isn't with most Christians....

Edited by truman

If they asked someone to make a cake and they wouldn't, why didn't they go and find someone who would?

because they wanted to make a fuss about being gay!! i wouldnt be suprised if they trawled round loads of cake shops until someone disapproved and refused:rolleyes:

He's free to let the court judge his actions. ;)
Cop-out...but I'll let you off, because it's Friday and nearly beer o'clock :D
The balance between running a business and personal views is a legal battlefield
Isn't it just?

as this case shows.
It does, doesn't it?

So how about a little bit less black-and-white? ;)

(this isn't exclusively addressed to you Chris)