Bakers face legal action over Gay Cake

Being a tolerant nation does not mean we should tolerate intolerance.

To be tolerant you have to show willingness to allow the existence of opinions or behaviour that you do not necessarily agree with.

I don't agree with the bakers stance but because I'm tolerant I wouldn't make a fuss and would simply buy my cake from someone else.

That wouldn't work. What happens when a business isn't allowed to discriminate but everyone who works for that business, as would be the case here, does want to discriminate?

I was more refering to small, or one man businesses, many small businesses choose not to do work for people based on gender.

Mens barbers, ladies taxis and driving schools ......

Second thought was, why do pubs put up those signs saying they reserve the right to refuse.

Probably to do with not serving those who are too drunk. Now it would be different if the sign said reserve the right to refuse Gays, Muslims etc.

I wonder how long the bakery would stay open for if it refused to serve couples living together but not married? That comes under the Ten Commandments of not committing Fornication.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-29926372

They refuse to accept gay marriage so refuse to make a cake for the couple.

But suppose a Jewish person ordered a cake for a Barmitzva, would that have been against the owners religious beliefs, on the grounds that they believe Jews are wrong by not accepting Jesus as the Messiah?

I would think that a business owner has the right to refuse service to anyone with the exception of that refusal being based on racial and ethnic grounds

Landlords are allowed, by law ,to refuse to serve anyone they want...as I understand it anyway..
In theory but its not supposed to be just anyone they don't like the look of. Its a mechanism to allow landlords to not serve people they suspect of being drunk or they suspect will cause trouble or may be dealing drugs on the premises. Its supposed to allow landlords to protect themselves, their customers and their business but its open to abuse

If the baker had made a cake for a group of Neo-Nazis and decorated the cake with a large Swastika and the message Heil Hitler would the baker be prosecuted for "spreading a hate message"?

---------- Post added 08-11-2014 at 22:59 ----------

And sexuality, and disability here in the UK.

Same here but a chain fast food outlet owned by a man of strong religious principles who closes his outlets on Sundays made it clear that gays were not welcome in any of it's establishments.

This launched an outcry from the gay community with demos outside the outlets soon followed by counter demos of those in sympathy with him because of all the negative publicity which was directed his way plus their own religious convictions The way they saw it he was only exercising his rights of free speech. No signs barring gays were placed outside the premises and as far as I know gays were not refused service.

As a business owner he was within his rights however even if his stand was somewhat out of sync with modern times.

Edited by Harleyman