New LED street lights

[Matt]

Well without seeing what they're actually doing it's a bit difficult for anyone on a public forum to speak on behalf of Amey. However they are also supposed to be replacing or enlarging the drains and managing the tree stock. So I'd try ringing 2734567 and then going through the automated system to speak to Amey. Then I'd ask what the workmen were up to as nothing seemed to be happening and then far more importantly ask for a date as to when the lights would be working and who is responsible if there were an accident caused by the poor lighting. As I can be a bit of a pain when it comes to getting correct info I tend to ask for the name of whoever it is that gives me any info just in case I need to chase something up.

Divide that figure by 2000 to get a realistic payback time. Energy isn't the only saving, huge savings are to be made because LEDs are relatively maintenance free. Companies are offering 100000 hour guarantees on LEDs and drivers, which equates to getting on for 25 years in street lighting terms. A sodium lamp lasts about 4-5 years and would therefore need replacing at least 4 times to achieve the same life span as LED units.

dont believe all the hype with LED, if you do your research you will find that the quoted lifespan (often 30/40/50,000hrs) applies to the leds only and not the driver, which wont last that long. the guarantees also only apply if the leds are used for 4-8hrs a day maximum, anything over that reduces the lifespan and kills the warranty. i dont think anyone is offering 100,000hrs on the led and driver as yet. i've specified LED lighting and had some fail already, which have gone back under warranty for replacement.

they do however reduce maintenance and even if they last 10yrs will make an impact on cost and repairs, and throw far less light upward where its wasted. early days yet for led lighting!

You mean like Amey?

---------- Post added 25-03-2013 at 15:30 ----------

But we are not having that type of managed motorway. The system that the M42 has is irrelevant, as it is not the system that is to be applied to the M1 which will be a full-time live lane.

The M42 managed motorway along with others using the same system are not changing.

I was told to google it, that's the only information the highways agency has available to easily find. So perhaps someone should have given me a link rather than the advice they did...

You can see why I thought they operated like that though, since that's how managed motorways operate at the moment.

---------- Post added 26-03-2013 at 07:33 ----------

Divide that figure by 2000 to get a realistic payback time. Energy isn't the only saving, huge savings are to be made because LEDs are relatively maintenance free. Companies are offering 100000 hour guarantees on LEDs and drivers, which equates to getting on for 25 years in street lighting terms. A sodium lamp lasts about 4-5 years and would therefore need replacing at least 4 times to achieve the same life span as LED units.

Ignoring the arguments about how maintenance free they are, how much does it cost to change a sodium bulb, in total, bulb + labour?

What's the total cost, 1.2 billion... Just for Sheffield.

Set against an annual maintenance budget and running cost for the old system of what, 0.5million? 1 million? Is it really going to save any money at all?

Edited by Cyclone

Is it really going to save any money at all?

Yes, Amey are being paid a fixed amount (presumably a lesser amount than SCC would otherwise have paid to do so) to maintain the streets and lighting for the next 25 years.

If it doesn't save Amey money doing the upgrades then it's Amey that suffers

Ignoring the arguments about how maintenance free they are, how much does it cost to change a sodium bulb, in total, bulb + labour?

What's the total cost, 1.2 billion... Just for Sheffield.

Set against an annual maintenance budget and running cost for the old system of what, 0.5million? 1 million? Is it really going to save any money at all?

It's not just maintenance though, I thought LED lamps would consume far less power?

Which should make life on the Managed Motorway sections around here VERY interesting in a couple of years time. Fancy breaking down on the M1 and not being able to make it to one of the refuge areas? On a dark rainy night? With sleepy HGV drivers trundling along at 55mph on what was the hardshoulder but will then be a live lane 24/7? Where your broken down car is stood?

Someone is going to get killed, I'm very sorry to say.

You need not worry- the managed motorway sections are going going to be used at peak times- ie- rush hours, or when there is heavy traffic.

Virtually all other times (including dark rainy nights), it will be a normal hard shoulder.

They have had them along the M42 for many years now and it works a treat.

fantastic one is lit at the bottom of linley lane and its just like daylight hope they are going to do a lot more ,well done amey

we have one right outside our house - i've no idea if they cost the council less to run, but they've certainly reduced our electricity consumption - the outside light is no longer needed and, until we get some thicker curtains, neither is the bedroom light

You need not worry- the managed motorway sections are going going to be used at peak times- ie- rush hours, or when there is heavy traffic.

Virtually all other times (including dark rainy nights), it will be a normal hard shoulder.

They have had them along the M42 for many years now and it works a treat.

This has already been covered.

The system on the Sheffield area of the M1 is NOT to be the managed scheme as seen on the M42. It is more or less "road widening without using any tarmac"

“The plan for Junctions 32 to 35a is to use the hard shoulder all day, every day and use roadside signage, instead of overhead signs. This has never been tried before and experts agree it will reduce road safety not improve it.

“If a car breaks down late at night on the former hard shoulder, passengers and drivers don’t stand a chance.

“There will be nowhere for them to move to quickly and safely, especially when visibility is poor or where the motorway is unlit. I’m worried drivers might not see a danger ahead until it’s too late.

“South Yorkshire Police has said if introduced in its current state these changes will cost lives. There is no need at all for these proposals outside of rush hours, and the Government should think again.”

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/sheffield-mp-fears-dangerous-m1-hard-shoulder-scheme-1-5472735

Yes, Amey are being paid a fixed amount (presumably a lesser amount than SCC would otherwise have paid to do so) to maintain the streets and lighting for the next 25 years.

If it doesn't save Amey money doing the upgrades then it's Amey that suffers

Fair enough, if it's Amey that take the risk and the council have benefited by saving money in predicted 25 year maintenance costs, then I've no complaint.

---------- Post added 26-03-2013 at 17:46 ----------

It's not just maintenance though, I thought LED lamps would consume far less power?

That's why I said annual maintenance and running cost.

• 3 months later...

Yes, but as already explained there is no point in counting lumens because that doesn't take into account that a whiter light can be easier to see with even when its actually a lower number of lumens emitted.

Even if the new street lights are a given wattage, they probably won't be running at full power so money is saved there.

Also when it comes to their health effects, surely warming lighting is just as bad as they will lull your body into going to sleep. If you are walking or driving at night you don't WANT your body going to sleep, you want to be wide awake. So the only problem is the potential for upsetting wildlife or if it shines into your windows. I would hope that there are contigency plans for these things by keeping the brightness down.

I for one am looking forward to cycling around Sheffield once these new street lights are in place as I will be able to see obstructions in the road much more easily, as well as motorists able to see me.