New LED street lights

[Matt]

i think they make streets darker ideal for muggers and burglers should be lighter

They are intentionally duller as you can see better with less light from blue-white light. You do notice the difference more when glancing off to darker areas away from the lights, but in my opinion they actually light further from the pavement than the old ones did - the complete opposite of what you are suggesting.

More importantly, the old orange ones you could be right underneath one and still find it really hard to make out someones face, due to the colour. The new ones you can see far more clearly, people feel a lot less menacing at night due to that.

Road obstructions were annoying too, as a cyclists it was hard to tell a stone from roadkill from pot holes at night, even with good LED lights on your bike. With the new street lights, you don't need to use the lights to see the road at all, so you can angle them more to be seen by other vehicles.

Also, the new street lights supposedly are not set to their brightest setting. They can crank them up from the central monitoring station so they double as flood lights during an emergency.

The only negative I can say about the new lights are the fact not all of them are working and they aren't cutting the trees back properly in some places, so they cause dark spots. But nothing really significant enough for a mugger to hide in that I have seen, just enough to make it hard to make out dog muck.

They are intentionally duller as you can see better with less light from blue-white light. You do notice the difference more when glancing off to darker areas away from the lights, but in my opinion they actually light further from the pavement than the old ones did - the complete opposite of what you are suggesting.

More importantly, the old orange ones you could be right underneath one and still find it really hard to make out someones face, due to the colour. The new ones you can see far more clearly, people feel a lot less menacing at night due to that.

Road obstructions were annoying too, as a cyclists it was hard to tell a stone from roadkill from pot holes at night, even with good LED lights on your bike. With the new street lights, you don't need to use the lights to see the road at all, so you can angle them more to be seen by other vehicles.

Also, the new street lights supposedly are not set to their brightest setting. They can crank them up from the central monitoring station so they double as flood lights during an emergency.

The only negative I can say about the new lights are the fact not all of them are working and they aren't cutting the trees back properly in some places, so they cause dark spots. But nothing really significant enough for a mugger to hide in that I have seen, just enough to make it hard to make out dog muck.

I agree with the majority of what you are saying. I love the new LED lights, they are much better BUT on our street, there is one LED lampost where 2 or 3 old ones used to be - obviously a cost cutting exercise and that creates lots of unsafe unlit areas.

Edited by Hesther

I agree with the majority of what you are saying. I love the new LED lights, they are much better BUT on our street, there is one LED lampost where 2 or 3 old ones used to be - obviously a cost cutting exercise and that creates lots of unsafe unlit areas.

Then you really should complain as they are only supposed to reduce the number of poles if it DOESN'T create dark spots.

Conversely, near me there are areas where they are so close together it seems overkill.

I've noticed this too, sometimes to the extent they've stuck the pole right up in amongst the branches of the tree.

Do they intend to cut the branches back??

Is it something that needs reporting before they come out and sort it??

Then you really should complain as they are only supposed to reduce the number of poles if it DOESN'T create dark spots.

Conversely, near me there are areas where they are so close together it seems overkill.

Really? Thanks for that Alex. Do you have anything that explains this in writing anywhere? How do you come to know this?

Do you have any idea who I should be complaining to? As it really is terrible.

Thanks again.