New LED street lights

[Matt]

The units on the top are the photo-sensors. This is why each light comes on independently of each other, they come on when that particular lights zone reaches the target darkness.

I suppose its possible they might bundle a wireless antenna in there too, but I could have sworn when I read the original proposal for these street lights they said the network went across the mains wiring.

No they are a unit that measures voltage and current, with this they can get wattage, pfactor, all kinds of info,, the unit also controls the light allowing it to be dimmed, report when high current or brownouts. This is radioed to the nearest node, as they all have a unique no allocated the system can control lots of lights at once. The nodes tend to have a different antenna on and this connects to the main computer system by gsm

These are the units being used, enjoy

http://www.telensa.com/products/lighting-components/

Interesting, thanks.

But if only the base station has a light sensor then why does each light come on at different time to each other? I find it hard to believe they would program it to do that as there is no logic to the order they come on unless its determined by a photo sensor in the individual light.

Then again this is Amey we are talking about.

Interesting, thanks.

But if only the base station has a light sensor then why does each light come on at different time to each other? I find it hard to believe they would program it to do that as there is no logic to the order they come on unless its determined by a photo sensor in the individual light.

Then again this is Amey we are talking about.

Think about it, it does not send a 'switch on' to all at once, it sends it out individually and gets a reply, that way it knows the light is on, the fact it does it very quickly makes it look like they come on together, the order is due to the serial no of the unit, they may not be concurrent on the same street?

You can see what information is available for each unit, that is why they stop the night survey, they dont need it, the system tells them which ones are out and what needs repairing

Think about it, it does not send a 'switch on' to all at once, it sends it out individually and gets a reply, that way it knows the light is on, the fact it does it very quickly makes it look like they come on together, the order is due to the serial no of the unit, they may not be concurrent on the same street?

You can see what information is available for each unit, that is why they stop the night survey, they dont need it, the system tells them which ones are out and what needs repairing

The problem with that theory is the serial numbers would have to be WAY out of sequence as I'm not talking a few minutes apart here and I don't think its consistent every time either.

I haven't timed it, but I'm fairly sure I have seen lights on my short section of street come on an hour apart sometimes.

Although there may be some merit there as our street light was done after the rest of the street, so I guess it would make sense that it might be completely out of sequence.