New LED street lights

[Matt]

I'm in two minds about these new LED lights.

As a driver, I find the 'pools' of light they create quite distracting and often mistake the effect for another car coming round the corner - this seems to be worse around Hill Top / Storrs where there is less lighting anyway - Maybe I'll get used to it! I won't, however, get used to the one shining right into my hallway which is now lit up like a Christmas tree all night long.

Why on earth haven't they put guards on the posts to stop them shining back into properties?

As a driver, I find the 'pools' of light they create quite distracting and often mistake the effect for another car coming round the corner - this seems to be worse around Hill Top / Storrs where there is less lighting anyway - Maybe I'll get used to it! I won't, however, get used to the one shining right into my hallway which is now lit up like a Christmas tree all night long.

Why on earth haven't they put guards on the posts to stop them shining back into properties?

I recall reading that they fitted extra shields if people were getting too much light into their houses, on a case by case basis.

I recall reading that they fitted extra shields if people were getting too much light into their houses, on a case by case basis.

They'll fit a baffle if they've tried turning the light down without resolving the problem. The lamps can be very bright when new, but gradually dim over time. They can be turned up or down very easily, and normally set at 80% of maximum.

I'm puzzled why anyone would be upset at their hallway being lit, for free. Bedroom or living room sure, but hallway?

I have some cheap christmas lights in the hall and an LED light strip in the porch, purely to keep those places lit 24/7. Because for some bizarre reason our house only has one light switch in the hall and you have already walked the full length before you reach it, and you have already trodden on the cat by then.

Edited by AlexAtkin

Have you tried contacting them.? Shades have been fitted where

light shining into house has caused problems. Link below

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/works/lighting.html

They'll fit a baffle if they've tried turning the light down without resolving the problem. The lamps can be very bright when new, but gradually dim over time. They can be turned up or down very easily, and normally set at 80% of maximum.

They dimmed on my road within weeks. It's black as a witch's hat now in places on the pavement, so now at night I walk in the roadway as on the whole it's less dangerous!

Think about it, it does not send a 'switch on' to all at once, it sends it out individually and gets a reply, that way it knows the light is on, the fact it does it very quickly makes it look like they come on together, the order is due to the serial no of the unit, they may not be concurrent on the same street?

You can see what information is available for each unit, that is why they stop the night survey, they dont need it, the system tells them which ones are out and what needs repairing

May I ask a question?

If the lamps need a signal to switch on, is there some default status in the event of no signal? i.e. If there is a power failure at the base station?

I'm puzzled why anyone would be upset at their hallway being lit, for free. Bedroom or living room sure, but hallway?

I have some cheap christmas lights in the hall and an LED light strip in the porch, purely to keep those places lit 24/7. Because for some bizarre reason our house only has one light switch in the hall and you have already walked the full length before you reach it, and you have already trodden on the cat by then.

The bedrooms are off the hallway so we're having to keep the bedroom doors closed to stop the light, that's OK in this weather but won't be any use in the summer when I'm sweating my bollards off!

May I ask a question?

If the lamps need a signal to switch on, is there some default status in the event of no signal? i.e. If there is a power failure at the base station?

I dont know, i would have expected the base to send on/off times, you could always email Telensa and ask

I dont know, i would have expected the base to send on/off times, you could always email Telensa and ask

First have a look at this page on the council website; ttps://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/works/lighting.htm

The links from there will answer a lot of the questions asked in this thread, and they provide contacts for faults and more information