New LED street lights

[Matt]

Had a letter saying they've done some checks and the light is too bright so they're putting a shade on it - result!

Out of interest Ian, that's a very nice lamp, not like the usual functional ones - how have you managed to get a nice one? Do you live in a conservation area?

• 1 month later...

I recently had the misfortune of having to drive along Valley Road during the hours of darkness. As a motorist, I thought the visibility was terrible and dangerous. Have Amey finished putting the lights up and are they just going to be on one side of the road, or are they coming back to put lights up on the other side?

I wondered if anyone else had noticed other roads that do not have adequate lighting for built-up areas, in their opinion, potentially making them dangerous for pedestrians at night.

The new lighting is excellent if you are underneath a light but as a driver I feel their beams are often not reaching the actual road often, so visibility is poor.

If you travel on the main routes, eg Abbeydale Road, the visibility is great for driving, as the lights are higher and brighter and well spaced to cover the actual road too but other roads are sadly lacking.

I fear in spite of the introduction of 20mph zones in areas, that there will be more accidents due to this.

Edited by Lex Luthor

the road past thornbury hospital to broom hill brand new lights all overgrown with tree branches,and with the hundreds of students all crossing the road glued to a phone without so much as a glance before they step out this road is lethal

Slow down then and take extra care when driving along there.

I think the new lights are fantastic, so much brighter than the old ones, and a much nicer light too.

The light from the old ones was something Jack the Ripper would have felt at home in, but the new ones look like really really bright moonlight, and they're getting rid of light pollution so you can see the night sky far better. They're great!

I think the new lights are fantastic, so much brighter than the old ones, and a much nicer light too.

The light from the old ones was something Jack the Ripper would have felt at home in, but the new ones look like really really bright moonlight, and they're getting rid of light pollution so you can see the night sky far better. They're great!

Absolutely, they are an improvement! Visiting friends from elsewhere in the UK and abroad love them. I hate driving in other cities in the dark that have orange bulbs still!

---------- Post added 17-10-2016 at 13:00 ----------

Slow down then and take extra care when driving along there.

Slow down and take extra care is quite an exemption of most Sheffield drivers regardless of the weather and conditions.

Absolutely, they are an improvement! Visiting friends from elsewhere in the UK and abroad love them. I hate driving in other cities in the dark that have orange bulbs still!

---------- Post added 17-10-2016 at 13:00 ----------

Slow down and take extra care is quite an exemption of most Sheffield drivers regardless of the weather and conditions.

I left Sheffield for America in 2013 and I came back this June, couldn't believe the difference, even my wife who had never been to the UK before then commented on the street lights being so bright, compared to where we live in Texas where there is LITERALLY NO LIGHTS on any roads, even highways here are 100% dark apart from car headlights.

Obviously I can't comment on them lighting up houses and such, but from a glance I thought they looked great