Does chiropractice work?

I was 'chiropractered' to death following a RTA.

Seventeen sessions with another ten later on. It really didn't help me. If anything it made me worse. :(

What I will say is that everyone is an individual, with different issues that affect them in different ways, so perhaps the best thing to do is try it for yourself.

However, I'd be more inclined to advise you to see your G.P and ask about the possibility of an MRI - or at least further investigations.

Edited by Voltaire

Chiropracty was too rough for my joints and I found that I had worse nerve pains and my back got a lot more sore after every session. My physio recommended a very good and very gentle osteopath who does the joint manipulation that absolutely has to be done (but no more) and achieves everything else by stretches and muscle manipulation. My body reacts much better to that.

EDIT- however, your body may just be reacting to the fact that things are moving that weren't moving or were seized in the wrong position, so please don't judge whether you have been helped until this has passed.

Chiropracy is based on articulation-manipulating techniques, and no(-t that much) different from physiotherapy and other manipulative techniques.

It's always worked whenever my sciatica has played up, same for my Dad (for both of us, with a male chiropractor, France).

My wife has found benefit from it too (there was no pressure or influence at all, it was just a suggestion from me that she tries it). That last one was a local chiropractor (female, Worksop). I had found & tried her after I 'did my back in' very severely a couple of years ago (as in, I could not straighten back up up for love or money, was in utter agony). Took a number of sessions, but fully solved and hasn't occurred again since.

Not for everybody, but so far as I'm concerned, it's as valid a form of physical treatment as any other (for the right condition/issue, that is, i.e. one that *can* be solved through chiropracy).

OP: it's important that you rest immediately after the manipulation. Good ('proper') chiropractors have a quiet room with a divan or the like for you to lay on 10 mins or so after your session, do not short-circuit this step.

Edited by L00b