Does chiropractice work?

Ive had my first Chiropractce session in Sheffield and feel like i have been in a car crash

should i ache afterwards and will more sessions cure my ailing spine?

Hi,

Myself and a lot of people I know use a Chiropractor and find they are very very good. I personally find physiotherapy much less effective and also longer to take any effect.

YES it is normal to hurt the next day. You should have been advised to ice pack the area if you have an ice pack. You should also have been advised it will feel sore the next day or so.

Im quite shocked at the responses above, normally people swear by the work of a good Chiropractor.

---------- Post added 10-11-2014 at 23:04 ----------

Chiropracy is based on articulation-manipulating techniques, and no(-t that much) different from physiotherapy and other manipulative techniques.

It's always worked whenever my sciatica has played up, same for my Dad (for both of us, with a male chiropractor, France).

My wife has found benefit from it too (there was no pressure or influence at all, it was just a suggestion from me that she tries it). That last one was a local chiropractor (female, Worksop). I had found & tried her after I 'did my back in' very severely a couple of years ago (as in, I could not straighten back up up for love or money, was in utter agony). Took a number of sessions, but fully solved and hasn't occurred again since.

Not for everybody, but so far as I'm concerned, it's as valid a form of physical treatment as any other (for the right condition/issue, that is, i.e. one that *can* be solved through chiropracy).

OP: it's important that you rest immediately after the manipulation. Good ('proper') chiropractors have a quiet room with a divan or the like for you to lay on 10 mins or so after your session, do not short-circuit this step.

I disagree with the last bit. I know quite a bit about this form of treatment and just lying down in another room for 10mins doesnt mean a chiropractor is any better than one who sends you home after.

5 yrs ago I was losing approx 2 weeks work out of five with severe and debilitating back pain (3rd vertebra ). I was advised to go under the knife by a spinal consultant..I decided on advice from my doctor to give a chiropractor a go.

I've never suffered one moments pain since. Not only did it work, it changed my life. My chiropractor was taught in France where the practice is regarded much higher than the UK

I disagree with the last bit. I know quite a bit about this form of treatment and just lying down in another room for 10mins doesnt mean a chiropractor is any better than one who sends you home after.
I have been using chiropractors in different countries (France, Luxembourg, Germany, UK) at one time or another since the late 80s (mild congenital scoliosis means lifelong back problems, regrettably), and am posting from hands-on experience.

So, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Incidentally, the French chiropractor my Dad goes to (still, every now and then, for maintenance) and I used to, was taught in the US, where the practice originated.

Edited by L00b

I have been using chiropractors in different countries (France, Luxembourg, Germany, UK) at one time or another since the late 80s (mild congenital scoliosis means lifelong back problems, regrettably), and am posting from hands-on experience.

So, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Incidentally, the French chiropractor my Dad goes to (still, every now and then, for maintenance) and I used to, was taught in the US, where the practice originated.

Agree to disagree. I know some fantastic Chiropractors where you go home after.

To practice medicine without a licence was illegal in America in the 1890's

You could invent a religion which had beliefs, practices, methods and ideology and would be protected in law.

That religion proposed that bone manipulation lead to physical and mental healing and through coincidence had a success or two and gained a following of practicioners and believers.

It was in the interest of the inventors and practicioners to promote their religion and believers have to justify the money they had spent.

A hundred years later that religion is split into two. One group adhere to the original beliefs and another adopts other ideologies and even some real proven therapeutic and medical techniques.

Chiropractice is an invention of one person based on doctrine and folklore which rejects some forms of proven medical treatments. As it is a doctrine it is untestable scientifically. Some continue to call themselves chiropracters and accept payment for freely available medical treatments that can work.

To practice medicine without a licence was illegal in America in the 1890's

You could invent a religion which had beliefs, practices, methods and ideology and would be protected in law.

That religion proposed that bone manipulation lead to physical and mental healing and through coincidence had a success or two and gained a following of practicioners and believers.

It was in the interest of the inventors and practicioners to promote their religion and believers have to justify the money they had spent.

A hundred years later that religion is split into two. One group adhere to the original beliefs and another adopts other ideologies and even some real proven therapeutic and medical techniques.

Chiropractice is an invention of one person based on doctrine and folklore which rejects some forms of proven medical treatments. As it is a doctrine it is untestable scientifically. Some continue to call themselves chiropracters and accept payment for freely available medical treatments that can work.

Works much better than physio for a lot of people I know!

<...> :huh: <...>
Meanwhile, on planet earth:

Chiropractic is governed internationally by the Councils on Chiropractic Education International (CCEI). This body is officially recognized by the World Federation of Chiropractic and the World Health Organization as the accrediting agency for schools of chiropractic across the world.[7] The minimum prerequisite for enrollment in a chiropractic college set forth by the CCEI is 90 semester hours, and the minimum cumulative GPA for a student entering is 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.[2] Common prerequisite classes include those of the biological, chemical, & physical sciences, including: human anatomy and physiology, embryology, genetics, microbiology, immunology, cellular biology, exercise physiology, kinesiology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, biochemistry, toxicology/pharmacology, nutrition, nuclear medicine, physics, biomechanics, and statistics.[8] Chiropractic programs require at least 4,200 hours of combined classroom, laboratory, and clinical experience.
(source)

Meanwhile, on planet earth:

(source)

Well Annie's not exactly wrong. Take some time to educate yourself http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_chiropractic

Of particular note is

Chiropractic leaders of the time often invoked religious imagery, and B.J. seriously considered declaring chiropractic a religion, deciding against this partly to avoid confusion with Christian Science.
and
B.J. Palmer believed that their chiropractic school was founded on "…a business, not a professional basis. We manufacture chiropractors. We teach them the idea and then we show them how to sell it"

Unfortunately, even in this day and age where relevant scientific studies are available to all, some people still persist in believing that chiropractic has any efficacy beyond mere placebo. Don't perpetuate this sham; see an actual physio.