Does chiropractice work?

You have three choices.

1 Pay somebody to give you treatment limited by a set of beliefs.

2 Pay somebody to give you treatment limited by scientific understanding.

3 Get free treatment on the NHS limited by scientific understanding and costs.

NHS says:

"A 2011 Cochrane review of studies of chiropractic intervention – treatments offered by chiropractors, including spinal manipulation – found that it is not possible to confirm or refute that chiropractic treatments are any more effective than conventional treatments for persistent lower back pain.

Conventional treatments include painkillers, exercise and physiotherapy. Physiotherapists may sometimes offer a similar treatment approach to chiropractors."

Source

You have three choices.

1 Pay somebody to give you treatment limited by a set of beliefs.

2 Pay somebody to give you treatment limited by scientific understanding.

3 Get free treatment on the NHS limited by scientific understanding and costs.

NHS says:

"A 2011 Cochrane review of studies of chiropractic intervention – treatments offered by chiropractors, including spinal manipulation – found that it is not possible to confirm or refute that chiropractic treatments are any more effective than conventional treatments for persistent lower back pain.

Conventional treatments include painkillers, exercise and physiotherapy. Physiotherapists may sometimes offer a similar treatment approach to chiropractors."

Source

Doesnt state its less effective either. I personally find it more effective. Let people see what is best for them!

In 2005/6 i went to have treatement at the Chiropractic clinic on my doctors

orders for my stiff neck aching shoulders and headaches.

For many year befor i was taking paracetamol.

This took around 2 years and i know it was costly but because of my work

in the Steel factories i stuck with it to the end.

My doctor was very pleased and didn't need to see me again on the score.

As i type this now in 2014 i've never looked back, i am a new man as do

believe in Chiropractic in Hillsbrough.

Now, this year i had acheing on my left arm near the elbow so i decided to have

Acupuncture, i had seven treatements and by gums that really worked.

You lay on the bed with needles placed in the area and back ground music,

WOW its so relaxing and no added pain with needles, well recomemnded.

Edited by brian1941
wording

Doesnt state its less effective either. I personally find it more effective. Let people see what is best for them!

...and in the process have their money removed.

In the world of science if the hypothesis is:

"A chiropractic has a better outcome than a medical approach" and the experimental evidence is that there is no improvement over the medical approach-then the hypothesis is wrong.

This claim only applies to lower back pain it does not apply to the other claims.

A 2003 profession-wide survey found that "most chiropractors (whether "straights" or "mixers") still hold views of Innate and of the cause and cure of disease (not just back pain) consistent with those of the Palmers." which is "..manipulation was the cure for all diseases of the human race..."

They still oppose vaccination!

"A chiropractic has a better outcome than a medical approach" and the experimental evidence is that there is no improvement over the medical approach-then the hypothesis is wrong.

This claim only applies to lower back pain it does not apply to the other claims.

A 2003 profession-wide survey found that "most chiropractors (whether "straights" or "mixers") still hold views of Innate and of the cause and cure of disease (not just back pain) consistent with those of the Palmers." which is "..manipulation was the cure for all diseases of the human race..."

Was your ex a chiropractor? :hihi:

Yes, you pay for treatment, but you also pay for most physiotherapy (and in my case osteopathy), since the NHS is prepared only to give a short course of treatment these days.

My back condition is an ongoing degenerative condition and the NHS has already decided that surgery will only be a benefit to me when it has degenerated to the point where I have no mobility, but in the mean time my back still benefits from maintenance.

Does the NHS allow for my spine to have any sort of maintenance treatments? No.

Does the NHS allow me to self-refer in for treatment when I am having a really bad time and need a few sessions to get me over that emergency? No.

In the last 24 years the NHS has given me 12 physiotherapy sessions, which came in 2 blocks, one 24 years ago and one 20 years ago. The advice, courtesy of my orthopaedic surgeon, was to find a good osteopath and put my hand in my pocket for the ongoing treatment, and that's what I've had to do.

My choice was whether to see someone who is classified as a physiotherapist, an osteopath or a chiropracter. It wasn't whether to pay or not.

Well Annie's not exactly wrong. Take some time to educate yourself http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_chiropractic

Unfortunately, even in this day and age where relevant scientific studies are available to all, some people still persist in believing that chiropractic has any efficacy beyond mere placebo. Don't perpetuate this sham; see an actual physio.

I know the origins perfectly well, 'thanks :roll:

But to still hold the practice as currently taught and practiced, over a century later and demonstrably with the full benefit of intervening developments in medical science and techniques, as it was perceived then, is fairly crass.

Are you and/or Annie a physio or an osteopath, by the way? :twisted: