Firm to employ Hungarians to make sandwiches

Don't suppose they are all British..not sure why you think they all should be..

Well, I understand it, the likes of greencore (and this isn't just exclusive to them by any stretch) they are having to advertise jobs abroad because they can't get staff, that's the case in leafy(ish) Northampton with (relatively) low unemployment. But there is no way you can say Rotherham (and stretch that to immediate surrounding areas) has anything but high unemployment. You'd have thought more people (what ever their ethnic group) would be local. Rotherham doesn't have a massively high immigrant population if memory serves.

Well, I understand it, the likes of greencore (and this isn't just exclusive to them by any stretch) they are having to advertise jobs abroad because they can't get staff, that's the case in leafy(ish) Northampton with (relatively) low unemployment. But there is no way you can say Rotherham (and stretch that to immediate surrounding areas) has anything but high unemployment. You'd have thought more people (what ever their ethnic group) would be local. Rotherham doesn't have a massively high immigrant population if memory serves.

Maybe some folk don't want to make sarnies for a living..rightly or wrongly you can't force people to work even there are jobs on their doorstep..

Maybe some folk don't want to make sarnies for a living..rightly or wrongly you can't force people to work even there are jobs on their doorstep..

True, but the local(ish) population shouldn't bitch about immigrants coming in and terkin er jerbs ( I'm looking at you, bnp voting maltby)

One of my suppliers (potato) had to "import" 60 polish people to work for the month when the new crop of potatoes needed harvesting and sorting. They put them up in a big warehouse! They hired some portaloos and bathrooms for them. I remember when I left school we went to work in the fields potato picking and the other veg. It was all cash in hand but I can't remember how much we earned. It was hard mucky work but we had a laugh. Did anyone else do this or was it just what we did in our village?
I remember spending my holidays in Norfolk pea picking. The money was handy and we had a laugh. That was around 45 to 50 years ago and just about everyone doing it was British. There was no problem, that I saw, with home-grown recruitment then.

Does anyone else find is bizarre/disturbing that we are having to recruit people from Hungary to fill vacancies in a sandwich making factory.

Surely out of the 2 million unemployed in this country we have people at the relevant skill levels for these vacancies.

I despair sometimes at the mess we've got into.

Just look at the state of the unemployed in this country though. Most are dossers apart from those unable to work due to ill health. Companies like foreign workers because they work hard, don't complain and get on with what they're paid to do. Most unemployed young British people have a lousy attitude towards work and that's the problem.

---------- Post added 14-11-2014 at 19:24 ----------

I remember spending my holidays in Norfolk pea picking. The money was handy and we had a laugh. That was around 45 to 50 years ago and just about everyone doing it was British. There was no problem, that I saw, with home-grown recruitment then.

The young people back then probably had a different attitude towards work.

Edited by Bounce

Just look at the state of the unemployed in this country though. Most are dossiers apart from those unable to work due to ill health. Companies like foreign workers because they work hard, don't complain and get on with what they're paid to do. Most unemployed young British people have lousy attitude towards work and that's the problem.

........Oh dear!