Ebay ban the selling of memorial ceramic poppies: Right? Wrong?

I wonder why they're so lax on Gumtree then (if as L00b said they're owned by Ebay)?....Although thinking about it. Gumtree doesn't get involved in the transaction like Ebay does, or charge fees (AFAIA)...

Maybe eBay has the software in place to stop banned items for sale in place automatically, whereas Gumtree may actually need one of their members of staff to see a banned item for sale?

So it could be a lot easier for eBay to ban something than Gumtree.

Maybe eBay has the software in place to stop banned items for sale in place automatically, whereas Gumtree may actually need one of their members of staff to see a banned item for sale?

So it could be a lot easier for eBay to ban something than Gumtree.

But surely if its the same company wouldn't they have access to the same tech?...I mean if I advertised (or tried to) a 0.38 revolver on gumtree I don't suppose for a moment It would actually get posted.

Ebay = Ethics. yeah right!

Or maybe:

Good press - free positive advertising?

---------- Post added 11-11-2014 at 16:38 ----------

But surely if its the same company wouldn't they have access to the same tech?...I mean if I advertised (or tried to) a 0.38 revolver on gumtree I don't suppose for a moment It would actually get posted.

Gumtree isn't an online auction website, it's just a listing of things for sale. So I would think that eBay has a lot more technology behind the scenes to keep it up and running than Gumtree, which would need a lot less investment to keep it going.

I stumbled across an article in the Telegraph talking about Nigel Farage being 'surprised' that Ebay has banned the sale of any of the ceramic poppies currently in the moat in London.

Regardless of Farage's politics, I was a little surprised too. I went to look on ebay to see what they might be selling for, and hence stumbled on the article.

I would actually like one of them, but missed the sale of them, so the next best thing (I thought) would be to acquire one from elsewhere. It seems that particular avenue has been closed, well and truly.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage/11215989/Nigel-Farage-Allow-people-to-sell-Tower-Hill-Poppies-on-Ebay.html

Why does it have to be one from the moat in London? Couldn't you get a ceramic poppy from the British Legion that hasn't been on display?