Ebay ban the selling of memorial ceramic poppies: Right? Wrong?

It's a scummy thing to do, IMO. You're basically taking advantage of someone who cares enough about the appeal to pay over the odds for one of the moat poppies and then pocketing that money for yourself when it could be going to the Legion.

Surely if someone cared enough about the appeal they wouldn't be buying a second hand one off Ebay knowing full well that not a single penny would go to the British Legion.

It's a scummy thing to do, IMO. You're basically taking advantage of someone who cares enough about the appeal to pay over the odds for one of the moat poppies and then pocketing that money for yourself when it could be going to the Legion.

Why is that a scummy thing to do? You might know my views on profit, but selling a poppy for more than you bought it for isn't harming anyone. It's just the same as buying an antique item and selling it for a profit. I wonder if it's because of the timing of the whole thing? I doubt eBay will ban the sale of them forever. I bet they will be worth a fortune in a generation or 2.

---------- Post added 12-11-2014 at 09:55 ----------

No I don't want to 'disappear' that post. If I make one, it won't be exactly the same...a poppy is a poppy...It's a flower....Is there a copyrite on the design of a flower?...And it would be specifically for me...I'm not selling them, I'm not making them wholesale.....It's purely and simply for me...and the legion still gets it's donation!

Quite right too Pete! People make poppies all the time. My son just made one for school. It's impossible to copy write the design of a flower.

---------- Post added 12-11-2014 at 09:57 ----------

Making your own ceramic poppy will make it 'original', but making it substantially like Paul Cummins' one (e.g. based on the BBC link) will make it commonplace (relative to Paul Cummins').

Have you seen the poppies? Every one of them is different. They're not identical.

Why is that a scummy thing to do? You might know my views on profit, but selling a poppy for more than you bought it for isn't harming anyone. It's just the same as buying an antique item and selling it for a profit. I wonder if it's because of the timing of the whole thing? I doubt eBay will ban the sale of them forever. I bet they will be worth a fortune in a generation or 2.

There are plenty of items for sale on eBay now that were originally sold for charity, so I very much doubt it is the principle that eBay object to.

More likely just the timing, or trying to head off bad PR.

I doubt they'll be worth a fortune in a generation or 2. Not with 800,000 in circulation.

More likely just the timing, or trying to head off bad PR.

That's the point that I was trying to make. Because it was still remembrance day yesterday. They'll be up for sale within a few weeks.

I doubt they'll be worth a fortune in a generation or 2. Not with 800,000 in circulation.

I bet they'#ll be worth a lot more that £25 in 100 years time. Don't forget it'll be the 200 year anniversary of the Great War.

Have you seen the poppies? Every one of them is different. They're not identical.
I have, and it doesn't matter. They're all from the same designer and according to the same common design. If anything, this makes Cummins' design right stronger, as it increases the likelihood of minor design variations to be considered as immaterial details and the minorly-different copied design to correspondingly still infringe :)