Dandy and Beano comics

• 3 weeks later...
No, definitely not. Bash Street Kids and Dennis the Menace always fighting, Desperate Dan even carried a gun. Far too violent for todays little cherubs.

Exactly right. What with Desperate Dan overeating gigantic portions of cowpie as well as being armed and Hungry Horace with the knife and fork emblazoned on the front of his sweater not being diet conscious Minnie the Minx and Keyhole Kate !!(Good Grief don't try to explain that one in political correct society. while I'm about it what about Tom and Jerry hitting each other with hammers, pokers or any other metal weapon that came to hand. Then there would be the people who would complain about Foghorn Leghorn (stuttering) Sylvester (Lisp) Tweetie Pie and Porky Pig (both with some kind of speech impediment)and as for The Roadrunner, the animal rights outfits would be after him for the treatment of his pal Wile E. Coyote (who I liked and felt sorry for bless him) even though it was self inflicted injuries. That's All Folks!!

---------- Post added 04-12-2014 at 22:50 ----------

On the subject of suitable comic strip characters; Roy Race's team mate 'Blackie' Gray, would they get away with that today? After all didn't they have to abridge the title of Black Bob? and he was a dog! But Gobble-Gobble Gertie (a turkey)-Beano/Dandy or Beezer-I think not. On another medium. a while ago I was watching on T.V one of the better British war films 'The Dam Busters' and when returning from overnight bombing raids the principal R.A.F.pilot W.C. Guy Gibson (great name for a hero) played by Richard Todd. was told that his dog had been run over and killed. The dog's name was that racially offensive and deplorable 'N' word, but not in 1956 I suppose, and they-the censors in the U.S.A.- had perhaps for good reason bleeped it out.