How would you alert another motorist that there was something wrong?

Now this has happened to me twice in the space of a week.

This morning on my way to work and in quite heavy traffic (but it was moving slowly). I allowed a car into traffic pulling out from a side street. It was a woman (that's relevant..stay with it)....As we continued along the road, I happened to notice that her rear offside tyre was quite seriously deflated (not completely flat, but enough to cause concern).

As the traffic was actually moving, I was loathe to get out of my car and run to her drivers window and tap on it to tell her. Flashing my lights or pipping my horn would have made me seem like some sort of road rage nutter, and bearing in mind it 'was' a woman, I could easily have freaked her out. (Although I don't think I'm 'that' scary) Eventually, approaching a traffic island, she moved to the inside lane and I moved to the right hand lane. As I came level with her I opened my passenger window to try to shout to tell her, but at that moment her lane moved off, and she was gone.

I was deeply frustrated that I didn't manage to alert her.

In the other incident, late last week, it was dark (driving home from work) and I noticed a car with no rear lights on at all. The headlights were working, but not the rear ones. It was on the motorway, and coincidentally, she (yes another woman) pulled off at the same junction as me....Once again I tried to alert her by pulling alongside and pipping my horn to get her attention, but she ignored me .... possibly because she was a woman and maybe felt threatened. Again, eventually she went one way and I went another....

All I wanted to do on both occasions was do a good deed and possibly prevent an accident, but was thwarted on both occasions.

What would you do?

First instance id have got out of my car and told her.

Second instance, flash my lights until i get her attention then shout through my window what the problem is.

Ive done it myself before and one time i was in slow moving traffic and saw someones fuel filler cap was open. I tooted, flashed, shouted, she didnt hear me so i just got out and walked the 3 or 4 car lengths and closed it for her. She did look a bit shocked at first but when i pointed out what i was doing she gave me a cheery wave and a thankyou.

I would, and did last week.

Guy driving down a fast toll road, his spare tyre cradle loose, tyre threatening to fall.

A very clear and urgent danger, so I pulled alongside, and shouted a warning.

I may well have stopped a serious accident.

That in mind, it's our duty to warn anyone in danger.

One of these in the window,

Preprogram it with several messages;

-There's a fault on your car

-I'm already doing the speed limit, you can overtake though

-You're supposed to use BOTH lanes, please stop trying to squeeze me out at the merge in turn

-Your bolted on spoiler is very classy and distracts attention from all the dents and poor filler attempts :)

---------- Post added 12-11-2014 at 10:09 ----------

It's illegal to use a phone while driving! :(

I think it's also frowned upon to exit your car while driving...

First instance id have got out of my car and told her.

I'd be interested to hear from any women out there. What would your reaction be, with someone flashing their lights, tooting their horn and shouting at you through an adjacent car window?

My perception would be that it 'could' seriously freak a woman. Or at least 'some' women.

On the motorway the other week I saw a car with a trailer board on their bike carrier. The electric cable was snaking on the floor behind the car and the board was hanging off.

I got behind the car, gave them several headlight flashes and put my hazards on. I then overtook and pulled back in front of them with hazards on for at least 20 seconds.

They carried on driving regardless, ignoring the approaching junction they could have left if they were uncomfortable with stopping on the hard shoulder.

I'd be interested to hear from any women out there. What would your reaction be, with someone flashing their lights, tooting their horn and shouting at you through an adjacent car window?

My perception would be that it 'could' seriously freak a woman. Or at least 'some' women.

Can i ask you? Are you still a virgin?