Fifth of jobs could be done by an 11 year old.

By an adult with the level of education than an eleven year old has... I'd guess that it's true.

Many jobs don't require anything beyond basic literacy and numeracy, which most eleven years have got.

I don't see how better education will alter that though.

More than a fifth of UK jobs only require the educational level of an 11-year-old, the chairman of the John Lewis Partnership has highlighted.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/4240513/One-pupil-in-six-leaves-school-with-no-good-GCSE.html

One pupil in six leaves school with no good GCSE

It suggests thousands of teenagers will struggle to compete for the best jobs or university places.

Why would they need to compete for the best jobs and university places when a fifth of UK jobs only require the educational level of an 11-year-old.

We have more people going into higher education than ever... I don't agree with loans and fee's, but how you can accuse the last few governments of ignoring higher education with a straight face, I really don't know.

---------- Post added 13-11-2014 at 07:32 ----------

Read it again I said FURTHER education, not higher education. I can think of a couple of further education colleges that have been knocked down completely or reduced in size.

If more people than ever are going into HIGHER education, and higher education only comes after FURTHER education, then how are those people getting there, if further education hasn't been supported?

---------- Post added 13-11-2014 at 13:48 ----------

What do you believe FE has to do with the 20% of jobs that don't even require GCSE level qualifications?

If more people than ever are going into HIGHER education, and higher education only comes after FURTHER education, then how are those people getting there, if further education hasn't been supported?

What do you believe FE has to do with the 20% of jobs that don't even require GCSE level qualifications?

Kids are doing school, (gcses, then a levels) then uni. They aren't doing the a-level equivalent vocational qualifications or we wouldn't be awash with polish plumbers, sparkies a mechanics. I'm guessing this is the mythical "skills gap" the cbi bangs on about.

But you've highlighted part of the problem - degree or bust.

---------- Post added 13-11-2014 at 14:25 ----------

Because if the skills aren't the jobs aren't going to created - which is why I'm assuming the german figure is way way lower.