Wheelchair users and prams on public transport, whose priority

Who should have priority on public transport?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who should have priority on public transport?

• Wheelchair users
    • Parents with prams
    • Not sure

I simply cannot fold down my pram and keep hold of three young children on a bus.

Ok I'll lead this by example.

Let's say I'm a drummer (this is true). Let's say I don't have a car (which is also true), but I need to get myself and a good chunk of my gear to a gig in a couple of weeks (also true!). Now, if I decide to take the bus to my gig I'm definitely going to be carrying more gear than I can put on the luggage racks, and there's definitely no chance of folding anything down. I get on the bus with all my gear and shuffle it over to the disabled spot, but no less than five stops later a wheelchair user rolls up and wants to ride.

I simply cannot fold down my drums and keep hold of my drumsticks on a bus.

What do you think I should do in this situation? Say "Sorry about your legs mate but I'm powered by the spirit of rock and roll, enjoy the 20 minute wait for the next bus."? Or get off the bus and call a cab, letting the person with mobility issues choose the mode of transport they'd clearly prefer?

Ok I'll lead this by example.

Let's say I'm a drummer (this is true). Let's say I don't have a car (which is also true), but I need to get myself and a good chunk of my gear to a gig in a couple of weeks (also true!). Now, if I decide to take the bus to my gig I'm definitely going to be carrying more gear than I can put on the luggage racks, and there's definitely no chance of folding anything down. I get on the bus with all my gear and shuffle it over to the disabled spot, but no less than five stops later a wheelchair user rolls up and wants to ride.

I simply cannot fold down my drums and keep hold of my drumsticks on a bus.

What do you think I should do in this situation? Say "Sorry about your legs mate but I'm powered by the spirit of rock and roll, enjoy the 20 minute wait for the next bus."? Or get off the bus and call a cab, letting the person with mobility issues choose the mode of transport they'd clearly prefer?

I presume the latter, but you, like most people on here aren't selfish. Unfortunately the ones who are probably wont have the empathy or ability to understand.

You people are rather bizarre. Regardless of that, I've never encountered a wheelchair on the bus, I find that most people who are in a wheelchair have a carer who drives.

You obviously haven't been on many buses then. I don't use them every day so can't say I see people in wheelchairs on a bus every day, but probably 3 out of 5 times, I do - and not just on one route, either.

Lol. You're a pudding.

Uh, thanks?

Anyway I hope you understood the point. I'm the one who decided to become a drummer, knowing how unwieldy the instrument is. I'm the one who decided to join a band despite not having my own transportation. I'm the one who decided to go and play a gig without securing other transportation and tried to save some cash by taking the bus.

I'm not the one who has to sit in a metal chair on wheels in order to go anywhere outside his own house. I'm not the one who knows there's nothing any doctor can do to get the function of my legs back. I'm not the one who wants to be able to ride the bus like anyone else trying to be financially responsible because I'm unable to find work, and the sum total of my benefits is barely enough to keep the lights on and my family supported.

The "in my circumstance" quote here betrays your selfishness. You think it should be first come, first serve because it serves you much better than the alternative.

It wouldn't serve me better than the alternative because there is no alternative. I simply cannot fold down my pram and keep hold of three young children on a bus.

It's a good job you weren't around 25 years ago when I had 3 children under 4 - however do you think I managed ? - I walked everywhere.

---------- Post added 18-11-2014 at 23:11 ----------

I'm not whinging, I'm just saying that I wouldn't move for a wheelchair if I boarded the bus first.

I am appalled.

You have absolutely no decency or care for those less fortunate than yourself - how would you explain this situation to your children - 'we were here first so that person who is unable to walk will have to get off the bus and wait another 30 minutes for the next bus' - nice example you are setting there.

---------- Post added 18-11-2014 at 23:16 ----------

You people are rather bizarre. Regardless of that, I've never encountered a wheelchair on the bus, I find that most people who are in a wheelchair have a carer who drives.

What planet do you live on ?

Edited by nikki-red