Wheelchair users and prams on public transport, whose priority

Who should have priority on public transport?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who should have priority on public transport?

• Wheelchair users
    • Parents with prams
    • Not sure

Your circumstances are through choice. So, fortunately, no, it's not first come, first served. If a wheelchair user needs the space, you can get off and wait if folding it up isn't an option.

Would the bus company be happy to refund the fare if she exited and waited for the next bus which may also be occupied by a disabled person, if this situation is a recurring issued then the bus companies need to increase wheelchair and disabled spaces. I also don't think children aged 3 and 2 should be expected to wait out side for too long whilst a suitable bus arrives, they are more susceptible to the cold than many adult wheelchair users.

Actually, martok, people should stop buying RangeRover prams. Without pointing fingers, itappears these days that EVERYTHING has to be BIG, and this includes prams. Unfortunately, public transport vehicles are built in accordance with Construction & Use regulations, so manufacturers cant just increase the size just to accommodate your idea. I suppose we could go down the TfL route and reduce the number of seats as is evident on the Plaxton Presidents we have received from there, but you would then have people complaining they had to stand.

Words fail me. There's one thing not agreeing with another opinion, but many of you speak utter craziness in order to try and defend your opinions.

---------- Post added 19-11-2014 at 08:40 ----------

Would the bus company be happy to refund the fare if she exited and waited for the next bus which may also be occupied by a disabled person, if this situation is a recurring issued then the bus companies need to increase wheelchair and disabled spaces. I also don't think children aged 3 and 2 should be expected to wait out side for too long whilst a suitable bus arrives, they are more susceptible to the cold than many adult wheelchair users.

They aren't open to any other opinions, unfortunately. As many have said before, it's quite an anti child part of the forum.

Actually, martok, people should stop buying RangeRover prams. Without pointing fingers, itappears these days that EVERYTHING has to be BIG, and this includes prams. Unfortunately, public transport vehicles are built in accordance with Construction & Use regulations, so manufacturers cant just increase the size just to accommodate your idea. I suppose we could go down the TfL route and reduce the number of seats as is evident on the Plaxton Presidents we have received from there, but you would then have people complaining they had to stand.

Most of the buses I see are running with empty seats so its just a case of taking some seats out to create a bus that is more friendly to pushchairs and wheel chairs.

Most of the buses I see are running with empty seats so its just a case of taking some seats out to create a bus that is more friendly to pushchairs and wheel chairs.

You are still missing the point - as I said, some of todays' pushchairs are immense, there is no need for them to be.

And as I also said - IF they did as you suggest and down-seat them TfL specs, guess how many complaints there would be.

Edited by RollingJ

You are still missing the point - as I said, some of todays' pushchairs are immense, there is no need for them to be.

And as I also said - IF they did as you suggest and down-seat them TfL specs, guess how many complaints there would be.

The point is that Cheekster says she had three children aged 3, 2 and 9 months in a double pram and I don't see how she could have taken them out of the pram safely and fold it away, and I don't see why she should be expected to leave the bus so that someone else could use the space she needed. Complaints from able bodied people having to stand so that more accommodation can be given to the disabled and people with children doesn't concern me, but a compromise could be fold away seats and people sitting in them could then move if the disable or parents with prams need them.

Bizarre :confused:

Not really.Just that I think it would be arrogant to push in.

And the rest of the sentence

or to prevent someone with children who had got to the stop before me, from getting on the bus. to me that would be really selfish.

That's the really bizarre bit.

The idea that arriving at the stop first gives a pushchair user the right to usurp the disabled space in the bus.

---------- Post added 19-11-2014 at 16:07 ----------

The point is that Cheekster says she had three children aged 3, 2 and 9 months in a double pram and I don't see how she could have taken them out of the pram safely and fold it away, and I don't see why she should be expected to leave the bus so that someone else could use the space she needed.

Because she's chosen to be a parent, and they haven't chosen to be disabled.

Because we make accommodations for the disabled because life is already difficult enough for them, and that isn't true for parents.

Complaints from able bodied people having to stand so that more accommodation can be given to the disabled and people with children doesn't concern me, but a compromise could be fold away seats and people sitting in them could then move if the disable or parents with prams need them.

Or parents could live with the consequences of the life choices they've made and stop expecting everyone else to accommodate them instead.

I'm not certainly not anti-child. I'm pro-child! I'm anti-self-entitled parents who honestly believe their poor organisational choices grant them to right to refuse public transport to disabled people. If anything I feel sorry for the poor children they travel with, given that they have to be raised by such selfish people.