Wheelchair users and prams on public transport, whose priority

Who should have priority on public transport?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who should have priority on public transport?

• Wheelchair users
    • Parents with prams
    • Not sure

The pram isn't the issue, the issue is my children not being able to safely sit elsewhere while I fold down a pram.

As you asserted in your earlier post, all wheelchair users are assumed to have a carer, who has a car, to which they have access. Therefore, the same could legitimately be expected to follow for parents with children in prams.

You would not expect to carry your child, remaining in its pushchair in the car, you would remove the child from the pram, and place the child in a car seat, folding the pram down into the boot of the car. if it is practical for someone to do that, then it is quite practical for the pram handler to stow the pushchair in the luggage rack.

I did answer the question, with my first sentence. The (Stagecoach) contract also clearly states that they must vacate the space for a wheelchair if necessary and thus the inability to do so indicates a failure to prepare for all reasonable eventualities.

You still haven't explained how a single parent would manage to keep 3 toddlers safe whilst folding down a buggy.

what does the wheelchair user do when they are on a bus with a pushchair handler who on the bus with an empty pram, (no child, not even one seated further back after climbing out of the pram) and they refuse to put the chair down, and place it in the luggage rack?

I would expect the bus driver to get out of his seat and throw the pram off the bus if the owner refuses to move it.

---------- Post added 20-11-2014 at 07:10 ----------

As you asserted in your earlier post, all wheelchair users are assumed to have a carer, who has a car, to which they have access. Therefore, the same could legitimately be expected to follow for parents with children in prams.

You would not expect to carry your child, remaining in its pushchair in the car, you would remove the child from the pram, and place the child in a car seat, folding the pram down into the boot of the car. if it is practical for someone to do that, then it is quite practical for the pram handler to stow the pushchair in the luggage rack.

The two situations are entirely different and can't be compared.

---------- Post added 20-11-2014 at 07:12 ----------

She asks a fellow passenger to help.

A possibility but would you trust a stranger to hold your small child, I know that many parents wouldn't today but probably would have 30 years ago.

A possibility but would you trust a stranger to hold your small child, I know that many parents wouldn't today but probably would have 30 years ago.

I would and have done.

It is ignorance like this that exemplifies how unfit many individuals are to bring up children.

There is something paranoid about suggesting that it's more dangerous today than it was 30 years ago. (And ignorant).

I don't think there is but lets assume there is, if someone is paranoid about stranger danger, telling them that they are paranoid isn't going to stop them from being paranoid, so will result in the same outcome, they won't want a stranger touching their children so will have no means of getting their kids from buggy to seat. Paranoia is a mental health disorder and would be classed as a disability so asking them to give up the space they need would be discrimination based on their disability.

The central presenting feature of individuals with paranoid personality disorder is their unjustified mistrust and suspicion of other people in general. Paranoid individuals are rigid, angry, and have an urgent need to be self-sufficient.

Edited by martok