Wheelchair users and prams on public transport, whose priority

Who should have priority on public transport?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who should have priority on public transport?

• Wheelchair users
    • Parents with prams
    • Not sure

Would you refuse to admit a wheelchair user into the wheelchair space being occupied by you and your pram?

... or, possibly, would you organise your life in a way that you were never confronted with that situation?

If I was midway through my journey, then yes, yes I would refuse.

Would you expect me not to have my children incase there just so happens that an occasion will arise, that I stop a wheelchair user boarding a bus? Particular considering the fact that I catch a bus once a week (if my husband is working that day).

---------- Post added 22-11-2014 at 16:18 ----------

Don't let this lot make you feel guilty for making a sensible choice.

:thumbsup:

That's right, they lack knowledge or information about the other passengers so have no idea if one or more of them is another Jimmy Savile ready to take advantage of any situation that gives them physical contact with a child.

---------- Post added 22-11-2014 at 09:12 ----------

Or they need to make their own decisions about risk without the interference from busybodies.

No they need to develop common sense, and realise that their child is in far more danger of death or abuse at the hands of its own parents than any stranger.

No they need to develop common sense, and realise that their child is in far more danger of death or abuse at the hands of its own parents than any stranger.

So in your realty everyone with common sense give their children away to strangers because it too risky caring for it yourself and it will be much safer for a stranger to care for it.

Interesting world you must live in.

So in your realty everyone with common sense give their children away to strangers because it too risky caring for it yourself and it will be much safer for a stranger to care for it.

You are being incredibly disingenuous, and world- expert at word-twisting.

I'm not quite sure if you are genuinely dim, or deliberately trolling. I know which the good money would be on.

For the few seconds it takes to fold the pushchair up, and place the pram in the luggage rack, what real danger would the child be in, considering that the bus would

a) be occupied with plenty of other people, and a kiddie fiddler would hardly be able to do anything without being seen, and,

b) no doubt leapt on and beaten to a pulp by anyone witnessing any attempt to molest the child.

I faint at the hypothetical danger I and plenty of other parents must have placed our children in, day in, day out back when the bus driver or other passengers would hold our children for us whilst putting our prams in the luggage rack.... Not.

As others have said, it's not a hardship to purchase an inexpensive pushchair that is small/ light enough to fold if necessary. It's a different matter with wheelchairs. It's not necessary to purchase a pram the size of a minibus, a simple baby buggy is more than enough for anyone's needs. Pushchairs fold easily, wheelchairs don't. And if little Tarquin, or little Peregrine has to have their pushchair folded, then so be it.

I'm not quite sure if you are genuinely dim, or deliberately trolling. I know which the good money would be on.

I have two things to point out.

1. You clearly haven't read the topic from beginning to end.

2. If you want to be abusive then you can talk to someone else.

Have a nice night.

My daughters wouldn't want to sit on a strangers knee and I wouldn't want to put them in a situation which they felt uncomfortable. For me, it's a simple as that.

And there is nothing wrong with putting your daughter before others, she is your responsibility and you have a duty of care towards her, you are not responsible for the unfortunate problems that other people face. :thumbsup:

For the few seconds it takes to fold the pushchair up, and place the pram in the luggage rack, what real danger would the child be in, considering that the bus would

a) be occupied with plenty of other people, and a kiddie fiddler would hardly be able to do anything without being seen, and,

b) no doubt leapt on and beaten to a pulp by anyone witnessing any attempt to molest the child.

I faint at the hypothetical danger I and plenty of other parents must have placed our children in, day in, day out back when the bus driver or other passengers would hold our children for us whilst putting our prams in the luggage rack.... Not.

As others have said, it's not a hardship to purchase an inexpensive pushchair that is small/ light enough to fold if necessary. It's a different matter with wheelchairs. It's not necessary to purchase a pram the size of a minibus, a simple baby buggy is more than enough for anyone's needs. Pushchairs fold easily, wheelchairs don't. And if little Tarquin, or little Peregrine has to have their pushchair folded, then so be it.

This seems to sum up the consensus. Well said.

I find it strange people would advocate having a child loose on a bus when it's illegal in a car.

Yeah, they should be strapped to the overhead luggage rack. :huh:

---------- Post added 23-11-2014 at 10:21 ----------

What a bizarre statement to make.

We're talking about how you fold up a pushchair, and you're thinking about giving away children. :confused:

---------- Post added 23-11-2014 at 10:22 ----------

If I was midway through my journey, then yes, yes I would refuse.

Would you expect me not to have my children incase there just so happens that an occasion will arise, that I stop a wheelchair user boarding a bus? Particular considering the fact that I catch a bus once a week (if my husband is working that day).

And you would be thrown off the bus, and quite rightly.

You're clearly a very selfish person.