Wheelchair users and prams on public transport, whose priority

Who should have priority on public transport?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who should have priority on public transport?

• Wheelchair users
    • Parents with prams
    • Not sure

It would be better if you quote me and then type your response instead of typing your response within my quote.

The discussion for the last several pages has been about a specific instance of mother with three very small children.

The law appears to be flawed.

Passengers over the age of 14 years must wear a seat belt in coaches. They must be notified of the requirement to wear a seat belt (this is usually by a notice on the vehicle, an announcement or a film). Each passenger is legally responsible for wearing their seat belt.

The law does not yet require passengers under 14 years old to wear a seat belt. However, all passengers are strongly advised to wear seat belts or the correct child seat on all journeys.

Presumably they assume parents will hold their child, not easy or safe if you have more than one.

BoldYou mean like I did for every other point I made? No one likes a smart alec martok.

If you feel the law is flawed then write to your MP, if you do so with half the gusto you have written with on here, you may well get the result you want.

I would suggest that you massively overstated the risk by saying that children not strapped into their buggies are "prime candidates" for future wheel chair use. You did this to add weight to your argument, in the absence of any meaningful information.

BoldYou mean like I did for every other point I made? No one likes a smart alec martok.

It means I have some inconvenience if I want to quote you.

If you feel the law is flawed then write to your MP, if you do so with half the gusto you have written with on here, you may well get the result you want.

Its flawed but it doesn't affect me so it doesn't matter to me if it isn't changed.

I would suggest that you massively overstated the risk by saying that children not strapped into their buggies are "prime candidates" for future wheel chair use. You did this to add weight to your argument, in the absence of any meaningful information.

I didn't say that so you should reread and then quote the member that did.

He did however have a point, if the bus stops suddenly what do you think will happen to an unrestrained 3 year old.

---------- Post added 23-11-2014 at 15:14 ----------

Nobody is proposing throwing anyone off the bus.
Yes they did.

Most forum members would probably be foremost in offering assistance in helping get the buggy out of the way of the wheelchair.

I think you are probably right, but sadly based on some posts some would probably throw it off the bus.

Edited by martok

Sat out in the cold who do you think would get hypothermia first, an adult or a baby?

I would always put a baby before myself no matter what disability I had.

I would do exactly the same, and I couldn't vote in the poll either because it's not giving an option on equal rights to board the bus.

Lets hope you are never in this situation with some of this lot on the bus, they might just throw you and your three kids off the bus whilst its still moving, its amazing that they think throwing small infants off a bus is the moral thing to do.

Google "reductio ad absurdium" for crying out loud.

---------- Post added 23-11-2014 at 21:19 ----------

Its not very considerate to kick Cheekster and her children off the bus just because someone else wants to get on the bus, and so far the only people that I have come across that think kicking her and her children off the bus is acceptable behaviour are members of this forum.

Being turfed off a bus?

It's actually a total non-problem that is quite easily solved by the parent folding the pushchair, as they have made a sensible choice in the purchase of their childs pushchair, rather than buying a landrover of a pram that's bigger than the bus they intend to travel on.

---------- Post added 23-11-2014 at 21:29 ----------

Taking a child out of a pushchair that it is securely strapped into and leaving it loose would make it an ideal candidate to be a future wheelchair user.

Many parents with children of walking age and up can be observed allowing the child to run riot up and down the bus, and don't have their child strapped into the pram, anyway.

I encountered a woman on the bus a couple of weeks ago, with an empty pram without any child with her, at all. This woman was adamant she wasn't going to fold the pram to make way for me and my wheelchair, much to the disgust of the driver and the other passengers.

Edited by Plain Talker
Of has no 'I' in it

Being turfed off a bus?

It's actually a total non-problem that is quite easily solved by the parent folding the pushchair, as they have made a sensible choice in the purchase of their childs pushchair, rather than buying a landrover of a pram that's bigger than the bus they intend to travel on.

I don't need to Google it thanks and if you took the time to read the topic you would know that that argument has already been successfully countered, the situation isn't as black and white as you want it to be.

Being turfed off a bus?

Many parents with children of walking age and up can be observed allowing the child to run riot up and down the bus, and don't have their child strapped into the pram, anyway.

I encountered a woman on the bus a couple of weeks ago, with an empty pram without any child with her, at all. This woman was adamant she wasn't going to fold the pram to make way for me and my wheelchair, much to the disgust of the driver and the other passengers.

Did you get on the bus?

Just because some parents don't have any regard for the safety of their children doesn't mean all parents should be as uncaring.

And the women you encountered was clearly a in the wrong.

The bus company can easily stop this conflict by removing some seats.

Edited by martok

Being turfed off a bus?

I am about as far away from that type of parent as is possible.