Wheelchair users and prams on public transport, whose priority

Who should have priority on public transport?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who should have priority on public transport?

• Wheelchair users
    • Parents with prams
    • Not sure

I'm quite sure you would. Do you know what a lovely person that makes you?

Unlike you it makes me one who has consideration for other people.

You have the option of moving, but if you chose not to you deserve throwing off, it'll give you time to think about your behaviour.

---------- Post added 24-11-2014 at 08:14 ----------

Martok and Cheekster, have you noticed that 92.5% people disagree with the position you're taking?

Does that really high figure not even make you stop and think?

Unlike you it makes me one who has consideration for other people.

You have the option of moving, but if you chose not to you deserve throwing off, it'll give you time to think about your behaviour.

---------- Post added 24-11-2014 at 08:14 ----------

Martok and Cheekster, have you noticed that 92.5% people disagree with the position you're taking?

Does that really high figure not even make you stop and think?

I'm sorry but you are showing zero consideration for the circumstances some people find them selves in, you have a fixed inflexible opinion on who should take priority and you have complete disregard for the safety and welfare of infants. You have zero evidence that 92.5% of people disagree with Cheekster and myself, and even if they did which I very much doubt, it doesn't make them right.

Edited by martok

On the contrary, you're trying to use safety as a means to justify the selfish behaviour you're exspousing, but we all know there is no safety issue. You've had to invoke the bogey man of the random paedophile, waiting on the bus, in an attempt to make out that folding a buggy is somehow unsafe.

And you ignore the fact that the responsibility for having x children and a buggy is with the parent.

As the bus companies make clear, moving for a disabled person is not a choice, no matter what excuses you wheel out.

On the contrary, you're trying to use safety as a means to justify the selfish behaviour you're exspousing, but we all know there is no safety issue. You've had to invoke the bogey man of the random paedophile, waiting on the bus, in an attempt to make out that folding a buggy is somehow unsafe.

And you ignore the fact that the responsibility for having x children and a buggy is with the parent.

As the bus companies make clear, moving for a disabled person is not a choice, no matter what excuses you wheel out.

Sorry this is just you putting you fingers in your ears, closing your eyes and singing bal bla bla bal bal bal if anything is said that counters your selfish and inflexible opinion. I prefer to look at each situation and make a judgement on the merits of each set of circumstance for making the call on whom should take priority.

Edited by martok

Sorry that's just you refusing to reconsider your opinion.

My opinion is that each situation is different and whom should take priority is down to the set of circumstances at the time, its a flexible approach that considers the rights and welfare of each party.

I agree that there is nothing you can possibly say that will dehumanise me to the point that I think it could ever be acceptable to force three very small infants to get of a bus just to allow an adult to get on the bus.

Indeed. As Snorbukle says, they get £56 a week for taxis, so I do hope that any of them using public transport return the £2,800 over payment back to the exchequer at the end of the fiscal year. As far as priority I know that I would be very angry if I used a wheelchair and some one told me,without even asking,that I should take priority over another person, because the thing I would want above all would be equality with everyone else, which means I would not want to push in. Now as to the size of buggies you could say in this day and age that having more than two children is selfish, and I have seen buggies that almost resemble Reliant Robins with handles attached, but the bus companies don't design the buggies.

Aye, whoever is first on the bus should have priority.

Some mothers have very low incomes, some are denied a cash income altogether. Female asylum seekers with children are given Azure cards with a roughly £40 a week credit and they cannot spend the card credit on the bus, only with a select few big retailers can they shop.

The cost of a bus journey to them might be 100% of their cash income, suppose they were lucky enough to be in receipt of some cash charity via church or some other charitable type of organisation.

Suppose the last journey of the day has some problem accommodating passengers, then the bus company should provide a taxi.

With current trends, and to make sure public transport is family friendly and the increased use of public transport by the disabled due to the free pass, buses should probably be designed to cope with more disabled passengers and buggies.

My opinion is that each situation is different and whom should take priority is down to the set of circumstances at the time, its a flexible approach that considers the rights and welfare of each party.

The "rights", you mean legally? Clearly it doesn't consider though, it disregards them.

I agree that there is nothing you can possibly say that will dehumanise me to the point that I think it could ever be acceptable to force three very small infants to get of a bus just to allow an adult to get on the bus.

Clearly that isn't the only option. The parent should remove the pushchair, taking the child or children out of it and fold it up.

Only if they refuse should they be told to get off the bus. That then would be a consequence to their refusal to respect the rights of the disabled person. If on the other hand they behave reasonably, they will be able to stay on the bus.

---------- Post added 24-11-2014 at 11:51 ----------

Aye, whoever is first on the bus should have priority.

Some mothers have very low incomes, some are denied a cash income altogether. Female asylum seekers with children are given Azure cards with a roughly £40 a week credit and they cannot spend the card credit on the bus, only with a select few big retailers can they shop.

The cost of a bus journey to them might be 100% of their cash income, suppose they were lucky enough to be in receipt of some cash charity via church or some other charitable type of organisation.

Suppose the last journey of the day has some problem accommodating passengers, then the bus company should provide a taxi.

With current trends, and to make sure public transport is family friendly and the increased use of public transport by the disabled due to the free pass, buses should probably be designed to cope with more disabled passengers and buggies.

Or they should fold up their pram or pushchair and make room for the wheelchair. As they are required to do as a condition of carriage.

The "rights", you mean legally? Clearly it doesn't consider though, it disregards them.

Clearly that isn't the only option. The parent should remove the pushchair, taking the child or children out of it and fold it up.

Only if they refuse should they be told to get off the bus. That then would be a consequence to their refusal to respect the rights of the disabled person. If on the other hand they behave reasonably, they will be able to stay on the bus.

Or they should fold up their pram or pushchair and make room for the wheelchair. As they are required to do as a condition of carriage.

Its been explained to you many times why that isn't always possible or practical, but as usual your eyes are covers, your ears are blocked and you are singing la la la la la la la la.

It's been explained to you many times why it's necessary and why your "not practical" excuses don't matter. So far you've failed to listen or understand though, and I don't expect that will change.

Ultimately, the conditions of carriage agree with me and other 92% of people who think the wheelchair user has priority. So you can argue until you're blue in the face, you won't change reality.

And if Cheekster every really refuses to move, she will most likely be thrown of the bus, and she'll deserve it.