Wheelchair users and prams on public transport, whose priority

Who should have priority on public transport?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who should have priority on public transport?

• Wheelchair users
    • Parents with prams
    • Not sure

Of course it's up to the operator. It's just my opinion, because it is difficult to negotiate stairs whilst the bus is in motion and from what I have seen if someone stays sat down upstairs,as they should do, the driver in some cases will drive off again before a person gets downstairs, and as much as anybody I blame the companies for that for putting the driver under stress to keep to time.

Although I respect your opinion, and it may be what you occaisionally observe, as a regular bus user, I can't say I've particularily seen it myself. What I do see though, are people who wait until they are about 10' away from a stop and then ring the bell, causing the driver to brake violently, and throw everyone around. Having said that, I think there must have been instructions to the drivers to ignore such stupid behaviour, because they now seem to carry on to the next stop, and these inconsiderate individuals now have walk back.

As regards getting up and down stairs, I would dispute it is that difficult - I'm 60, with a dodgy knee, and don't find it that difficult.

Although I respect your opinion, and it may be what you occaisionally observe, as a regular bus user, I can't say I've particularily seen it myself. What I do see though, are people who wait until they are about 10' away from a stop and then ring the bell, causing the driver to brake violently, and throw everyone around. Having said that, I think there must have been instructions to the drivers to ignore such stupid behaviour, because they now seem to carry on to the next stop, and these inconsiderate individuals now have walk back.

As regards getting up and down stairs, I would dispute it is that difficult - I'm 60, with a dodgy knee, and don't find it that difficult.

I wouldn't find it difficult going upstairs because usually the bus wouldn't be moving, but of the two stops I use, both are just after a bend so you are thrown about a bit. I wouldn't recommend it. I think a lot of the problem is drivers being under too much pressure to keep to time.

The shopping isn't likely to run away whilst right next to you as you fold your Ferrari branded monster buggy.

Now your prejudice is showing. What about non-branded perfectly reasonably sized pushchairs? What about people with very young babies that are still in carry cots? What about high winds blowing shopping away? What about it being stolen? What about the bus driver refusing to wait while you load it? What about all the other passengers who I'm sure will be quite happy to wait patiently in line behind you while you pay, exit the bus and re-enter with the pushchair then exit again to slowly load the shopping? What about the bus driver who doesn't bother to wait until you're safely sat before driving off?

jb

Just a quick comment about terminology - a couple of posts have made reference to equality and disabled people people being "equal". To my mind it's more about levelling an unfair playing field.

Would that extend to making someone get off the bus so they could get on ?

Now your prejudice is showing.

What prejudice? Can you put it into words?

What about non-branded perfectly reasonably sized pushchairs?

Will they be easier to fold, or equally difficult?

What about people with very young babies that are still in carry cots?

What about them? Will it make some sort of difference to whether you have the basic human decency to move for a disabled person, or instead you refuse?

What about high winds blowing shopping away?

In your dreams perhaps. Or possibly if there's a tornado.

What about it being stolen?

What if aliens beam it up? Or in other words, don't be so ridiculous.

What about the bus driver refusing to wait while you load it?

What about having it ready when they pull up...

What about all the other passengers who I'm sure will be quite happy to wait patiently in line behind you while you pay, exit the bus and re-enter with the pushchair then exit again to slowly load the shopping?

What about this is the fault of the disabled person who you're refusing to make space for? Your choices, you deal with them.

What about the bus driver who doesn't bother to wait until you're safely sat before driving off?

jb

So because of this hypothetical bus driver you will punish the disabled wheelchair user by refusing to act with common decency. That'll teach the bus driver.

To flip things around (not that I expect a sensible answer to this). If I were stood in the space, and you wish to get your buggy into it. Will you be happy when I refuse to move on the grounds that I really don't feel like it? Will you be supporting my right to act like a tit? I bet not. I bet you'd be up in arms if mere pedestrians were being awkward to parents.

---------- Post added 12-12-2014 at 11:19 ----------

Would that extend to making someone get off the bus so they could get on ?

No, it would extend to making someone MOVE.

The suggestion for removing them from the bus was when they refuse to move.

What about them? Will it make some sort of difference to whether you have the

Carry cots tend not fold up.

I've got a big chunky pram that you'd probably label a monster buggy, with big chunky wheels that's really difficult to fold up, and takes up a large footprint when folded.

We got it because it would cover our little one from newborn until she was no longer needed a pram. It was sturdy enough to last for any future children. Also our car seat fitted onto the pram chassis, for short journeys in the pram this was a life saver.