Wheelchair users and prams on public transport, whose priority

Who should have priority on public transport?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who should have priority on public transport?

• Wheelchair users
    • Parents with prams
    • Not sure

The point of the case was that within the meaning of the Equality Act, disabled people are a "protected group" whereas pushchair users are not, and that the company (First, I think) were guilty of "direct discrimination" by preventing the wheelchair user from accessing their service.

The judge's remarks were that this probably wouldn't have been the case if there had been another bus along shortly, but in this instance the next bus was an hour away.

I understand that First are appealing on those exact grounds mentioned above - they want legal clarification on whether a driver is required by law to make a pushchair user give way (presumably by folding the chair up or getting off the bus) to the wheelchair user. I don't think the issue of making the driver assess disability is relevant in this case.

There are some particular circumstances in this case that don't make it such an easy issue. That said, I think I'm generally on the side of the wheelchair user here.

The last time I was on the bus (last fri actually) there are CLEAR signs saying the area is for both pushchairs and wheelchair users, though people with a wheelchair have priority, and pushchairs will be asked by the driver to be folded and stored.

I've also seen drivers refuse pushchairs because there wasnt enough room on the bus due to a wheelchair user and a pushchair already being in the allotted space. I've also seen wheelchair users refused as theres already a wheelchair user on board. I've never seen a driver tell someone to leave the bus because of not enough room.

What about during the rush hours or when kids get on the bus from school?

Sometimes when no one is occupying the space, wheelchair users just can't get on because it's just too busy.

Because walking onto a bus is a great indicator of ones ability to walk much longer distances.

jb

No, but it is a fairly good indicator of whether the child needs yo remain in the buggy for the rest of the journey, which is what is being discussed. Why did you mention walking long distances? They are on a bus!

If it's a shared wheelchair/pushchair space, then, as barleycorn said, whoever gets their first and a pushchair user should NEVER be asked to leave the bus for a wheelchair user, if it is traditionally a shared space.

Why can't the child be taken out of the chair and sat on the parents lap? That used to be the norm.

My view would be different if the disabled didn't get considerable cash benefits for travel/mobility and free travel passes.

As it is, I think prams should have priority, a wheelchair user can easily use a taxi and is given money to cover such travel.

What about during the rush hours or when kids get on the bus from school?

Sometimes when no one is occupying the space, wheelchair users just can't get on because it's just too busy.

I've been on the bus during rush hours when they shouted at people to move back to allow for a wheelchair user to be on. Driver refuses to move until people move back, though I have only experienced that once in the 8 years of commuting here (where people refused to move, that is)

I've seen them try to do the same for prams, but not as much sympathy from people. Most of the time they request the prams to be folded or to wait for the next bus. Which, during rush hour, is fair to expect. Most parents seem to have sense, and have them folded before boarding. The only ones that dont, are the ones with cribs on wheels and take up the space of 2 or more of a compact size.

Why can't the child be taken out of the chair and sat on the parents lap? That used to be the norm.

I agree. Many parents allow their young children to occupy a seat on transport, when they haven't even paid for it, yet an adult has.

When we used to have conductors they would tell parents, 'this person has paid a ticket for their journey, your child hasn't, put your child on your lap'.

On a few occasions I have seen women with prams refused entry because they didn't want to collapse the perambulator (and there was already two on the bus), however i'm struggling to think of seeing a wheelchair user on a bus within the last 20 years...

Personally I think the woman who refused to collapse her pram even though there was signage stating priority was at fault and not the bus driver or company. However it is their responsibility to enforce the rules, even if that means employing a conductor again.

Do you buy a ticket for a baby and or pram?

I agree. Many parents allow their young children to occupy a seat on transport, when they haven't even paid for it, yet an adult has.

When we used to have conductors they would tell parents, 'this person has paid a ticket for their journey, your child hasn't, put your child on your lap'.

On that basis, children of 5+ should get priority over pensioners and disabled.

My view would be different if the disabled didn't get considerable cash benefits for travel/mobility and free travel passes.

As it is, I think prams should have priority, a wheelchair user can easily use a taxi and is given money to cover such travel.

Even the enhanced weekly rate of the mobility component of PIP is only £56.75, that certainly wouldn't cover my taxi fares if I were to take the taxi every time I actually take the bus during a week, and my commute is only about three miles.

Do you buy a ticket for a baby and or pram?

Do the Government pay the travel/bus companies to give them free or half fare?

Age discrimination is allowed in this case, but a little compassion should be shown by children giving up their seat.