Wheelchair users and prams on public transport, whose priority

Who should have priority on public transport?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who should have priority on public transport?

• Wheelchair users
    • Parents with prams
    • Not sure

The great things about adults is the ability to put one thing down, in order to pick up another. And buses come with luggage storage space.

And again, back in the real world, people don't plan to catch the bus long enough in advance to book.

---------- Post added 18-12-2014 at 07:26 ----------

The bus driver continues taking the other passengers to their destinations because their needs far out way the needs of the bus company to get a fare from one passenger.

Why don't you try that then and report back.

I can guarantee that you will not be driven to your destination.

Why don't you try that then and report back.

I can guarantee that you will not be driven to your destination.

You are in no position to guarantee anything, the policy is to report it and continue with the journey so that the other passengers are not inconvenienced, the non fare payer might then be met by an inspector and an officer from the safer travel police team and a fine issued.

Edited by 1960

• 4 weeks later...
Aren't people in wheelchairs sat down already? I really dont get this, people in wheelchairs in airport queues get to go to the front first aswell its a joke, i dont use a pram/buggy or wheelchair i'm just bemused
Yes people in wheelchairs do get priority at airports and allowed to pre board as they have to get to their seats ......and in my husbands case carried to their seats to retain some of their dignity before anyone else boards the plane. He is also taken off last when probably everyone else has collected their luggage and gone off to start their holidays. I don't class this as a "perk" if you think it is then have the disability too.

---------- Post added 11-01-2015 at 23:34 ----------

I originate from Sheffield, I lived here for the first 27 years of my life. I have known my husband for 39 years. He is a wheelchair user after being injured in the forces in the 70s. We have just started to use public transport as for the first time ever my husband as got a disabled pass. Tomorrow we are travelling in to Sheffield on the tram from Meadowhall where we are staying. It is the first time my husband as ever been to Sheffield city centre. I visit my family in Sheffield quite regularly and use public transport when I am here. I have been upset to read some of the comments on this thread and quite appalled at some people's ignorance. I hope I don't experience any of the "difficulties " I have read about on here tonight.....watch this space!

• 1 year later...

Evening all,

I'm just wondering as to who gets the right away on trams and buses when it comes to the Disabled or the Parents with Prams? The feud seems to be at boiling point if you ask me, and I've only been a regular tram rider since 2007. I only pose this question because over the last few weeks specifically, tempers have flared at peak times when I've been catching the tram for my daily commute.

Now first and foremost, I'd like to state that I am infact, able-bodied (fingers crossed)- that however, doesn't stop me from wondering whether the disabled get the priority space on trams and buses, or parents with prams.

As a homosexual man, being a parent isn't something that I'm seeking, but becoming disabled is a real probability for anybody in life (especially if I carry on eating this dairy milk chocolate left over from Christmas! Hehe)

Friday for example, an elderly gentlemen with a crutch was asked to move out of the disabled seating areas on the tram, for an African lady with a rather large pram. Needless to say, he wasn't impressed and demanded to speak to the driver. This not only held my journey up for an entire 15 minutes, it also infuriated the young child, who seemed distraught at the unrest he had inadvertently caused.

In the end, the old man had to stand, ironically next to me, before somebody let him sit in their seat as a gesture of goodwill.

So who gets the priority? The driver explained to the elderly gent that Children get the priority over anybody on the tram, disabled people included. Is this fair?

This is a good place to start: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1357277

Personally speaking the disabled should get priority. As a youngster travelling on buses my Mum & Dad asked me to get up from sitting on a seat if an elderly or person in need would like to sit down. I do it now automatically as a matter of courtesy to others.

Edited by Mister M

So who gets the priority? The driver explained to the elderly gent that Children get the priority over anybody on the tram, disabled people included. Is this fair?

That's strange because most of the Stagecoach buses in Barnsley have a sign stating that disabled people take priority over parents and prams and if a disabled person requires the space them the passenger with the pram will be asked to get off and get on the next bus! I'm fairly certain it states that it is a legal requirement that disabled passengers have priority.

If stagecoach have picked up the 24 from Tates Travel then I'll check the wording tomorrow!

I would say a disabled get priority. Most prams nowadays can and should be collapsed. But given the sense of self entitlement mothers have now I wouldn't bet on it. If had been the gent on a crutches I would have told the mother (African or not) in no uncertain terms NO, I'm not moving.

If the space is marked as a wheelchair area, then by law (Disability discrimination act) wheelchair users have priority and if required by a wheelchair then parents with buggies must vacate the area and fold the buggy down.

Some bus operators that have two spaces have chosen to designate one as a wheelchair area and one as a parent and buggy area.

There are also seats near the front labelled 'priority seats' which are intended for those unsteady on their feet such as the elderly, pregnant and other vulnerable people, some who may have disabilities that aren't outwardly obvious.

First bus: http://www.firstgroup.com/bus-accessibility

Stagecoach bus: https://www.stagecoachbus.com/help-and-contact/national/what-should-i-do-if-theres-no-space-on-the-bus-for-my-pram-or-wheelchair

Supertram: http://www.supertram.com/safety.html

Of course, it should all really work on passengers showing courtesy, respect and common sense. Remember, wheelchairs and unfolded prams cannot safely be carried anywhere but the designated space so standing passengers should vacate this area if needed. At the same time passengers in the priority seats that don't need a priority seat should be giving them up for those with walking sticks and others that REALLY need to sit down.

Edited by Andy C

As far as I am aware/have been told etc, the Disabled have priority over parents and buggys/children..

This is the same as the busses, allowing the parent to bring the buggy on the bus is at the drivers discretion...