Wheelchair users and prams on public transport, whose priority

Who should have priority on public transport?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who should have priority on public transport?

• Wheelchair users
    • Parents with prams
    • Not sure

No, but it is a fairly good indicator of whether the child needs yo remain in the buggy for the rest of the journey, which is what is being discussed. Why did you mention walking long distances? They are on a bus!

Because this.

What annoys me is when pushchairs are put on the bus full of shopping and the child is walking onto the bus so obviously the pushchair isn't for the child.

Why can't the child be taken out of the chair and sat on the parents lap? That used to be the norm.

Our push chair requires two hands to collapse and if the seat is in the backwards facing position then it needs to be removed first. So, where do you put the baby while doing this? On top of that what do you do with any shopping bags carried on the pushchair? Where exactly are you supposed to leave them while throwing your baby in air to fold up your pushchair? How long do you think the driver is going to wait for you to accomplish all this before pulling off, knocking you off balance and leaving pushchair, baby and all sprawled on the floor? What about the other passengers, you think they'll be pleased with the hold up?

jb

On that basis, children of 5+ should get priority over pensioners and disabled.

Rubbish. Kids from 5+ can sit on their parent's lap until they are about 10.

Why should young kids have priority over elderly and disabled people getting a seat on a bus?

Because this.

Our push chair requires two hands to collapse and if the seat is in the backwards facing position then it needs to be removed first. So, where do you put the baby while doing this? On top of that what do you do with any shopping bags carried on the pushchair? Where exactly are you supposed to leave them while throwing your baby in air to fold up your pushchair? How long do you think the driver is going to wait for you to accomplish all this before pulling off, knocking you off balance and leaving pushchair, baby and all sprawled on the floor? What about the other passengers, you think they'll be pleased with the hold up?

jb

If you knew you were going to take the bus with your baby, you should have considered that when getting your pram. You should have thought "What if I have to fold this down after shopping? Can I do it on my own? Will I need help?" If you cant fold it, then wait for the next bus who can accommodate you.

Please dont say no one does that, I have a few friends who have had kids and this was something they did consider before investing in theirs. Only one friend decided as her choice pram was going to be too big for the bus, would then walk or drive (though I know not everyone has that option)

Also, how did you carry your shopping pre-baby or how will you when it can walk?

Because this.

jb

It is your own fault for purchasing such an unwieldy pushchair. To alleviate the impact of this in public transport situations, perhaps you could purchase a sling?

The fact the pushchair you choose to use is hard to fold does not, in my kind, mean you should be able to take up more space then is fair.

My umbrella is a right ache to fold (takes a good couple of tries before the catch clicks) I wouldn't think of not folding it because it was awkward to do so.

I think it's just another sign of the times with our "I'm all right Jack, up yours" society. Surely all that needed is for people to use a bit of old-fashioned common sense, decency, consideration, courtesy and politeness. When I was a kid my parents made me stand for adults. Adults would give their seats up for those older than themselves, men would give their seats to women, etc..

Edited by rodnreeluk

jb

So you'd rather leave a wheelchair user stranded at a bus stop because of your inability to purchase a pushchair that is fit for purpose? "Sorry you can't come onboard mate, I know you've lost use of your legs but I made a poor purchasing decision a few months ago, which when you think about it is still a disability I carry to this day."

It is your own fault for purchasing such an unwieldy pushchair. To alleviate the impact of this in public transport situations, perhaps you could purchase a sling?

The fact the pushchair you choose to use is hard to fold does not, in my kind, mean you should be able to take up more space then is fair.

My umbrella is a right ache to fold (takes a good couple of tries before the catch clicks) I wouldn't think of not folding it because it was awkward to do so.

True, it seems a bit of one up man ship, " my pushchairs massive" why do they need pushchairs as big as they are?

If you knew you were going to take the bus with your baby, you should have considered that when getting your pram. You should have thought "What if I have to fold this down after shopping? Can I do it on my own? Will I need help?" If you cant fold it, then wait for the next bus who can accommodate you.

Please dont say no one does that, I have a few friends who have had kids and this was something they did consider before investing in theirs. Only one friend decided as her choice pram was going to be too big for the bus, would then walk or drive (though I know not everyone has that option)

Also, how did you carry your shopping pre-baby or how will you when it can walk?

I haven't been on a bus in over a decade, it was a hypothetical situation.

jb

Pushchairs annoy me when on packed public transport. I grow up down south and I remember my mother being asked to fold my little sisters push chair when we got on the bus.

Can anyone on here confirm if that was required up here in the late 80 ' s and early 90 ' s.

Obviously the answer to he questions is wheelchairs.

I dont think that it was a requirement as such but I know we used to with our pair, no room otherwise.

The space says disabled access so disabled access it is. Fold up the damn prams!!!

I have two thank you.

Using a pushchair in a shared wheelchair/pushchair priority space is fair. Asking a parent and infant to exit the bus mid journey to accommodate a wheelchair user in such a situation isn't.

Do you normally carrying a baby and shopping in your umbrella?

So you'd rather leave a wheelchair user stranded at a bus stop because of your inability to purchase a pushchair that is fit for purpose? "Sorry you can't come onboard mate, I know you've lost use of your legs but I made a poor purchasing decision a few months ago, which when you think about it is still a disability I carry to this day."

If it's a shared wheelchair/pushchair space, and it is known in advance to exist, why shouldn't a parent purchase a pushchair that requires the use of this space? If, having utilised a shared priority space, should a parent and infant be forced off the bus mid-journey? Why should they be stranded at a bus stop for simply utilising a space which was put there for their use?

Why do you think the needs of the disabled should trump the needs of anybody else?

jb