Wheelchair users and prams on public transport, whose priority

Who should have priority on public transport?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who should have priority on public transport?

• Wheelchair users
    • Parents with prams
    • Not sure

I haven't used a bus for over 40 years but if I was on a bus and this situation arose I would offer to help the parent with their shopping and buggy so that the wheelchair user could also use the bus. There should be no need for the parent to struggle when they are on a bus full of helpful people.

It is your own fault for purchasing such an unwieldy pushchair. To alleviate the impact of this in public transport situations, perhaps you could purchase a sling?

The fact the pushchair you choose to use is hard to fold does not, in my kind, mean you should be able to take up more space then is fair.

My umbrella is a right ache to fold (takes a good couple of tries before the catch clicks) I wouldn't think of not folding it because it was awkward to do so.

I am of the opinion that the wheelchair user should get priority.

With regards to unwieldy prams, I have a friend who barely uses hers. She carries her child in a sling and always has done. It seems much easier, and is definitely something I would consider if I ever have children.

---------- Post added 15-11-2014 at 07:12 ----------

It must be our age, but I do tend to agree. Its interesting watching who makes room for others on public transport. I've noticed a tendency recently for some folks to put their bags on the seat nearest the window and sit on the aisle seat, forcing people to ask them to move either themselves or their bags. I've asked on a couple of occasions and its been done albeit grudgingly. :( Similarly, its a mixed bag of people who will give up a seat for someone obviously more in need. I stood up the other day to let an obviously frail older person have my seat. Even though I'm over pension age, how I was brought up still resonates.

As for buggies, anyone who is planning to take their child regularly on public transport needs a buggy that is easily folded. My oldest grandchildren had a monster, but they never went anywhere outside walking distance except by car. The littlest one who lives in Sheffield had a lightweight, folding buggy. No problem making space with one of those. Fortunately we live on a tram route, and there is usually space for buggies as well as wheelchairs.

I admit I'll put my bag on the adjacent seat, but never if it is busy, I will move it. I try to look out for people who might need a seat more than me. I don't mind standing, usually I've been sat down at work all day.

I was on a packed bus a while ago and one woman shouted up 'is no one going to let this pregnant lady sit down?' Her companion was not obviously pregnant, and I would be worried about getting it wrong and offending someone unless they were clearly expecting, its not always easy to tell. I just think it would have been more polite to ask 'Does anyone mind giving up their seat for my friend, she is pregnant?'

I am of the opinion that the wheelchair user should get priority.

With regards to unwieldy prams, I have a friend who barely uses hers. She carries her child in a sling and always has done. It seems much easier, and is definitely something I would consider if I ever have children.

---------- Post added 15-11-2014 at 07:12 ----------

I admit I'll put my bag on the adjacent seat, but never if it is busy, I will move it. I try to look out for people who might need a seat more than me. I don't mind standing, usually I've been sat down at work all day.

I was on a packed bus a while ago and one woman shouted up 'is no one going to let this pregnant lady sit down?' Her companion was not obviously pregnant, and I would be worried about getting it wrong and offending someone unless they were clearly expecting, its not always easy to tell. I just think it would have been more polite to ask 'Does anyone mind giving up their seat for my friend, she is pregnant?'

I put my bags next to me too if the bus or tram isn't busy, its the people who leave them there at busy times who are rude. And I agree that the person wanting a seat for their friend should have gone about it differently!

In London pregnant women can get badges that say 'Baby on Board' so other passengers aren't unsure of their condition. I don't suppose it works for everyone, but for heavily pregnant women I would imagine it might give them a good chance of being offered a seat.

Wheelchair users should definitely take precedence over parents with buggies.

It seems reasonable to expect that if parents are going to take buggies onto crowded buses, the buggies should be the collapsible kind, not bulky great all-singing-all-dancing chariots which takes up half the gangway. The buggy should be collapsed prior to boarding and the child can sit on its parent's knee.

I can tell you why I think they should have priority. Because having children is a choice, and having a disability isn't.

The disabled need accommodations making, parents want them making. And that's why the disabled persons needs should trump the parents 'needs'.

You appear to be forgetting the needs of the infant.

---------- Post added 17-11-2014 at 12:14 ----------

Despite the fact that it's a shared space, the priority is clearly given to wheelchairs. This is stated on the signs designating these spaces, which you might have known if you had stepped on a bus in the last decade.
Is this true for all buses or do some have both tyes of space or different wording?

If a parent and infant is forced off a bus mid-journey because they brought an unwieldy, unfoldable pushchair and too much shopping on board, then the parent is the only one to blame and should accept responsibility.

If they have bought the pram on the presumption that there is a dedicated priority space for pushchairs then no, they have no responsibility to accept. If the space is designated as priority for wheelchair users over prams then they have some responsibility. The driver should also be forced to wait while the pram is unloaded, the pram (+ any bags/shopping) stored safely and the parent sat holding the infant, no matter how long the process takes, before setting off. Likewise they should have to wait while the process is reversed on disembarking... the bus companies could just adapt to the changing nature of society and provide space that accommodated the needs of all its users.

I just... there... there are no words. Seriously. What on earth? Am I going crazy here?!

It hadn't even entered into my mind before I saw this thread that anyone could possibly think that wheelchairs shouldn't have priority over pushchairs. The sheer lack of compassion from some people makes me weep for humanity.

Your cruelty to babies has me at a loss for words. The sheer lack of compassion from some people makes me weep for humanity.

jb

Is this true for all buses or do some have both tyes of space or different wording?

On a First bus this morning I noticed the sign said nothing about pushchairs, designating it only as a wheelchair priority space. From my recollection, Stagecoach buses explicitly state the space is reserved for pushchairs and wheelchairs, but that pushchair users may be asked to move for wheelchair users. There are no "both types of spaces" - there is only the one space on the buses that I ride that can accommodate wheelchair users, which is the space under discussion.

If they have bought the pram on the presumption that there is a dedicated priority space for pushchairs then no, they have no responsibility to accept. If the space is designated as priority for wheelchair users over prams then they have some responsibility. The driver should also be forced to wait while the pram is unloaded, the pram (+ any bags/shopping) stored safely and the parent sat holding the infant, no matter how long the process takes, before setting off. Likewise they should have to wait while the process is reversed on disembarking... the bus companies could just adapt to the changing nature of society and provide space that accommodated the needs of all its users.

Given that wheelchair users do indeed have priority then yes they do have some responsibility. If I was on a bus where a pushchair user had to take some time to sort out their belongings in order to make space for a wheelchair user, I certainly wouldn't mind. It's part and parcel of riding on public transport. I don't think anyone here is saying that they would?

Your cruelty to babies has me at a loss for words. The sheer lack of compassion from some people makes me weep for humanity.

Hilarious.

I can tell you why I think they should have priority. Because having children is a choice, and having a disability isn't.

The disabled need accommodations making, parents want them making. And that's why the disabled persons needs should trump the parents 'needs'.

I could not agree more.

You appear to be forgetting the needs of the infant.

Not at all. It doesn't need a dedicated space or a pushchair. It doesn't even need to go shopping tbh, although the parent might need to take it with them.

jb

I assume that's supposed to be a joke?

Not at all. It doesn't need a dedicated space or a pushchair. It doesn't even need to go shopping tbh, although the parent might need to take it with them.

Quite. I have always been convinced that parents make less rational, more expensive shopping decisions when accompanied by a small child than they would if they left said child in the care of someone responsible. This could be done on a reciprocal basis with another parent, or even paid for out of the money saved by being able to think straight when shopping.

Taking small children rounds shops for more than 15 minutes is madness and bound to end in tears (all round).

I have three children aged 3, 2 and 9 months and there isn't a chance in hell that I could fold down my double pram and keep hold of my monsters. So in my circumstance I think it's first come, first serve. If a single mum/dad with one baby/toddler is in the space and a wheelchair user boards the bus, then it goes without saying that they should move.