Wheelchair users and prams on public transport, whose priority

Who should have priority on public transport?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who should have priority on public transport?

• Wheelchair users
    • Parents with prams
    • Not sure

I have three children aged 3, 2 and 9 months and there isn't a chance in hell that I could fold down my double pram and keep hold of my monsters. So in my circumstance I think it's first come, first serve.

The "in my circumstance" quote here betrays your selfishness. You think it should be first come, first serve because it serves you much better than the alternative.

I know that I would be very angry if I used a wheelchair and some one told me,without even asking,that I should take priority over another person, because the thing I would want above all would be equality with everyone else, which means I would not want to push in.

That's a very easy thing to say from your current position. I suspect living without the use of your legs for decades might change your mind. Then again it might not, but the hypothetical "if I were in a wheelchair" is useless because you're not.

Lol. I can't make my mind up if you guys are actually being serious? Arrogance and selfishness? It isn't arrogant to say that it should be first come, first serve, in the case that a pram cannot be put down.

I do believe it is arrogant to claim that the needs of someone who has wilfully purchased a pram that cannot be used in a mindful manner on public transport has the same priority to use said transport as a disabled person in a wheelchair. I believe that that viewpoint betrays an inflated sense of self-importance and a frankly bizarre dismissal of the experiences of the disabled.

People are desperate for equality, and then when it suits they decide that actually, duck equality, this person takes priority. We can't have it all. What do we want, equality or not?

I definitely want equality. However, as I have stated previously, I do not believe equality means treating everyone the same. In your version of equality, would you prefer it if disabled people didn't get any money from the government? I don't get money from the government, so why should disabled people? Isn't that equality?

That's a very easy thing to say from your current position. I suspect living without the use of your legs for decades might change your mind. Then again it might not, but the hypothetical "if I were in a wheelchair" is useless because you're no

Seeing that I do have use of my legs I have no option but to say it that way.

On mainline buses there is a notice that wheelchairs have priority over prams and anybody with an ounce of decency would move. Nobody was asking them to get off. It says a lot for the selfish person that they refused.

---------- Post added 18-11-2014 at 16:14 ----------

Because this.

Our push chair requires two hands to collapse and if the seat is in the backwards facing position then it needs to be removed first. So, where do you put the baby while doing this? On top of that what do you do with any shopping bags carried on the pushchair? Where exactly are you supposed to leave them while throwing your baby in air to fold up your pushchair? How long do you think the driver is going to wait for you to accomplish all this before pulling off, knocking you off balance and leaving pushchair, baby and all sprawled on the floor? What about the other passengers, you think they'll be pleased with the hold up?

jb

You should have bought a more user friendly pushchair

The "in my circumstance" quote here betrays your selfishness. You think it should be first come, first serve because it serves you much better than the alternative.

It wouldn't serve me better than the alternative because there is no alternative. I simply cannot fold down my pram and keep hold of three young children on a bus.

Edited by nikki-red
Fixed quote

It wouldn't serve me better than the alternative because there is no alternative. I simply cannot fold down my pram and keep hold of three young children on a bus.

Are you the only one with 3 children. You should have got a more user friendly pram. Everybody whinges but have no forethought. My grandparents brought up 14 children. How do you think they went on?

Edited by nikki-red
fixed quote

Are you the only one with 3 children. You should have got a more user friendly pram. Everybody whinges but have no forethought. My grandparents brought up 14 children. How do you think they went on?

I'm not whinging, I'm just saying that I wouldn't move for a wheelchair if I boarded the bus first.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed quote

Indeed. As Snorbukle says, they get £56 a week for taxis, so I do hope that any of them using public transport return the £2,800 over payment back to the exchequer at the end of the fiscal year. As far as priority I know that I would be very angry if I used a wheelchair and some one told me,without even asking,that I should take priority over another person, because the thing I would want above all would be equality with everyone else, which means I would not want to push in. Now as to the size of buggies you could say in this day and age that having more than two children is selfish, and I have seen buggies that almost resemble Reliant Robins with handles attached, but the bus companies don't design the buggies.

You do realise that equality would mean that you can pretty much always squeeze onto a bus. That's the 'equality' that the abled bodied take for granted. And the ability to carry bags of shopping, push a double push chair and have 3 children tagging along.

We make special consideration for the disabled so as to make them as equal as possible. That means that they get priority for using the special areas created for them on public transport.

Unlike parents, they didn't choose their circumstance, so people with pushchairs can just push off and make room for those in a wheelchair.

---------- Post added 18-11-2014 at 16:40 ----------

Yeah, I'd noticed that myself. This forum has it's fair share of miserable old gits. Luckily, there a few kind people knocking around.

---------- Post added 18-11-2014 at 11:11 ----------

People are desperate for equality, and then when it suits they decide that actually, duck equality, this person takes priority. We can't have it all. What do we want, equality or not?

It's really quite rich to talk about equality and use it as an excuse to deny a person in a wheelchair getting onto a bus, simply because you CHOOSE to have a large push chair that you're incapable of folding.

And then to accuse those who stand up for the disabled of being "miserable old gits". I think it's more that you're selfish, and happen to be a parent and presumably youngish.

---------- Post added 18-11-2014 at 16:41 ----------

I just know I would hate to push someone else out the way, or to prevent someone with children who had got to the stop before me, from getting on the bus. to me that would be really selfish.

Bizarre :confused:

---------- Post added 18-11-2014 at 16:42 ----------

I think the poll result, 66 against 2 says what the majority opinion is quite clearly.

The 2 appear to be the 2 who would personally benefit. Presumably the 66 are mostly independent, being neither disabled nor encumbered with an unfoldable pushchair.