Would you know what a CID identification card should look like?

I once queried a policeman at my door and asked him for his ID. He said "Isn't the van parked on the street proof enough". I said "no" which he got a little miffed about, but in those days probably 30 years ago, there wasn't the technology to just 'produce' an identity card.

They can only come in if you are at large, to arrest you for an inditable offence or have a warrant signed by an inspector or Judge, wet ink as well I might add, not a photocopy or signed by the judges clerke.

Because they were threatening to kick the door down.

I did think about complaining after, it did shake me up... however I thought, i'm sorta glad they treat criminals like that.

My case was due to wrong information, never heard from them again.

It will normally be a wallet with a metal badge stating what force they are attached too, along with an ID card showing their picture and number. If still unsure, do as stated above.

They have to have both together, not one or the other.

A quick search on ebay and there are plenty of police badges for sale. How would anybody know if the badge your being shown is current or not?

You TELL them to wait outside while you ring the local nick on a number you know.

If they are the real deal they won't mind.....unless they let themselves in using the big red key!

Don't be silly - only Father Christmas has a big red key.:roll:

Police in this country don't have a metal badge

That's just the point. I wouldn't know a valid ID if it jumped up and bit me.

Someone said earlier, phone the local nick and ask....Does anyone have the direct phone number of their local nick? I don't, and I doubt anyone does (who's not directly involved with the said nick).....I had occasion to phone the police the other week on a non-urgent matter....and it must have taken a good ten minutes for me to be actually put through to someone to actually talk to. So it's not a simple matter to verify someone who's stood at the door as one might expect.

I think unless you've done something wrong, anyone turning up on your doorstep flashing police ID and wanting to interview you is probably trying it on.

Come to think of it the only time the police have shown up at my door they didn't show any ID, but they were dressed in uniform, and all the scenes of crime fellas were everywhere.

(It wasn't me, honest)

I mean I just googled "British Police warrant card" (images) and got this.....Quite a few variations there...Nothing standard...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=British+police+warrant+card&safe=off&rlz=1C1EODB_enGB513GB513&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=643&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=DfFlVNS1ItfiaoCDgvgE&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ