How long until Cannabis is legal in the UK?

Alcohol should be sold from off licenses and not supermarkets.

Opening times reintroduced.

Underage drinking and drunken behaviour policed as rigorously as in the past.

Tobacco products prohibited by law.

Apart from the underage drinking (which is policed just as vigorously). Why?

So come on then,who's happy for the drug dealers to supply their kids with this harmless crap?

No one is. That's why it needs legalising :)

---------- Post added 24-11-2014 at 09:39 ----------

Underage drinking and drunken behaviour policed as rigorously as in the past.

By "the past", I take it you're referring to, before the 60/70's? I know for a fact that my parents used to buy alcohol when they were under18. The police knew about it too. If anything it was probably just as relaxed, if not more relaxed.

In the 1960s the police used to visit pubs and check the ages of drinkers who looked underage and plenty were prosecuted-how many cases do you hear of nowadays ?

Drunkenness in public was not tolerated to the degree it is nowadays. People were prosecuted for being drunk in a public place.

---------- Post added 24-11-2014 at 10:14 ----------

Ref.#165.

Alcohol- to help identify it as the drug that it is and limit its use.

Tobacco- it is now proved to cause dreadful illnesses. I find it shameful that a product which carries a warning about the illness it can cause derives tax for the government.

What crime would there be less of if cannabis wasn't around?

There are about 10 States in the US which have now legalized cannabis. There may be more States which go the same way in the future including California and there will be other States which will never ever legalize it.

The Federal government will never legalize it either... not a chance. You're going to get the situation where a resident of a pot State such as Colorado driving across a none pot State, pulled over by that State's police and during the course of that stop they discover a stash of cannabis.

"But they're legal in Colorado where I'm from" the driver says

"We dont give a monkeys about Colorado. They're not legal in this State" would be the reply so he's hauled off and charged with a felony, ie possession of an illegal substance, transporting it across State lines

What I see is that people driving across the US had better be aware of the individual laws in each State concerning cannabis.

In the UK of course it's far less complicated since there's no Federal system of government but I don't see it being legalized in the UK either

...So, once more, what crime would there be less of if cannabis wasn't around?

In the 1960s the police used to visit pubs and check the ages of drinkers who looked underage and plenty were prosecuted-how many cases do you hear of nowadays ?

Drunkenness in public was not tolerated to the degree it is nowadays. People were prosecuted for being drunk in a public place.

---------- Post added 24-11-2014 at 10:14 ----------

Ref.#165.

Alcohol- to help identify it as the drug that it is and limit its use.

Tobacco- it is now proved to cause dreadful illnesses. I find it shameful that a product which carries a warning about the illness it can cause derives tax for the government.

That still happens today. Pubs get raided and ID gets checked. The only change I can see today is that youths don't try and hide their drinking, they just do it in plain view, whereas we used to find a secluded spot, usually out in the back streets somewhere, out of site. The culture around drinking has changed a lot today. I think it's still heavily policed, but the methods of policing it have adapted.

Alcohol shouldn't be restricted or have its use limited. The majority of people can and do use it responsibly. I don't think we should be made to suffer because a few people misuse it.

As for tobacco, I don't think it causes that much of a strain on the government. They put a hell of a lot of tax on cigarettes, enough to cover the NHS costs..........unless the government aren't using cigarette duty to cover those costs? :suspect:

I think the government's policy on cigarettes is working anyway. People will always smoke, no matter what. But now, people are aware of the risks and there's quite a lot of methods for quitting available. The numbers of smokers is reducing rapidly. I think they've done enough.

It has been a failure in Portugal where the streets are infested with down and out addicts, when you legalise class C drugs you reduce the criminality of Class A and B, society and infrastructure then collapses.

Are you saying that Portugal legalised cannabis? :suspect:

That still happens today. Pubs get raided and ID gets checked. The only change I can see today is that youths don't try and hide their drinking, they just do it in plain view, whereas we used to find a secluded spot, usually out in the back streets somewhere, out of site. The culture around drinking has changed a lot today. I think it's still heavily policed, but the methods of policing it have adapted.

Alcohol shouldn't be restricted or have its use limited. The majority of people can and do use it responsibly. I don't think we should be made to suffer because a few people misuse it.

As for tobacco, I don't think it causes that much of a strain on the government. They put a hell of a lot of tax on cigarettes, enough to cover the NHS costs..........unless the government aren't using cigarette duty to cover those costs? :suspect:

I think the government's policy on cigarettes is working anyway. People will always smoke, no matter what. But now, people are aware of the risks and there's quite a lot of methods for quitting available. The numbers of smokers is reducing rapidly. I think they've done enough.

I take on board your points ref alcohol but my concern about tobacco is the suffering it causes in later life.

People are aware of the risks but still smoke including many young people.

I take on board your points ref alcohol but my concern about tobacco is the suffering it causes in later life.

People are aware of the risks but still smoke including many young people.

And they always will do. It's a choice we are free to take.