How long until Cannabis is legal in the UK?

Doughnuts are food, the body needs food.

Doughnuts barely meet the criteria for being defined as food. The body does not need doughnuts.

---------- Post added 25-11-2014 at 10:02 ----------

Doughnuts aren't as addictive as cigarettes though for most people (plus they are much cheaper).

That doesn't really matter when it comes to people who ARE addicted to them, or rather, addicted to sugar in general (and not addicted to cigarettes).

It ruins peoples' lives, just ask the NHS.

"Misuse" is not a legal term. So it's just "use".

There is no beneficial effect, so what. Why does that mean that adults shouldn't have the personal freedom to do it? People do lots of stupid things, it's important that we are free to choose our own stupid things IMO.

It is misuse as it is not used as intended and so will have harmful effects. Nothing to do with legal or illegal.

Ref. tobacco. It is sometimes necessary to protect people from harm. If you feel so strongly please visit smokers suffering from related illnesses in their later years.

Please do not use sport to deflect the argument, I am referring to a specific proven cause of severe illness.

Sport? Where did I mention sport?

You're referring to a particular behaviour that causes behaviour and I'm referring to a general principle that people should be free to do what they like (where it doesn't harm others). If they wish to do things that harm themselves, then what do you think gives anyone else the right to stop them?

It's a basic principles thing. Self determination, including when other people think the decisions being made are stupid ones.

Why and why, who does the current situation benefit, and how well did prohibition work in the US?

I would assume cannabis is illegal because of concerns over health (valid or not, different people will give different answers depending which side of the fence they sit).

Alcohol and tobacco were in use long before the health concerns became an issue, so it would be hard to make them illegal. However they do now have age restrictions, licensing to trade etc. so while not illegal the trade is (in priciple at least) controlled.

Sport? Where did I mention sport?

You're referring to a particular behaviour that causes behaviour and I'm referring to a general principle that people should be free to do what they like (where it doesn't harm others). If they wish to do things that harm themselves, then what do you think gives anyone else the right to stop them?

It's a basic principles thing. Self determination, including when other people think the decisions being made are stupid ones.

You did not mention sport but others have in other such discussions.

I see your point but think in this case the harm and misery caused outweighs it.