How long until Cannabis is legal in the UK?

Well we're not all driving around in huge trucks with an assault rifle on the passenger seat so there are a few differences between us still.

I think when it comes to easy ways to pull in a ton of tax money I can't see our government ignoring it for too long. Right now it just lines the pockets of criminals.

Is there any information on changes in crime stats, or that often touted mental health issue??

There's plenty of evidence that crime will fall if drugs are legalised.

Whatever mental health issues exist (controversial still I think) will continue to exist, but at least the tax revenue will offset the cost of dealing with them.

• 1 month later...
10-15 years.

Of course, cannabis is already legal in this country. Otherwise there wouldn't be a British company growing it, extracting the active ingredients, and turning them into medicine. So it's not like the mechanisms don't exist already.

But unlike the US, we don't have a long history of medical cannabis acceptance here - which is what they are building on.

But as someone said earlier, USA gets a cold, UK sneezes. The big change will come if US federal law ever swings round to reflect the will of the states. Right now, in spite of being legal in 10% of the US, federal law still considers cannabis a schedule I drug (no accepted medical use) and attaches heavy penalties for its possession and use. Thus the DEA has the power to shut down cannabis growers and retailers in the states where it is legal - but have wisely decided not to.

Canada and Mexico are now both seriously proposing the legalisiation and regulation of cannabis. Canada will be the first majority anglophone, NATO member, G8 member and commonwealth member to do so, so maybe my initial estimate was conservative.

I think the dam has burst on this one in spite of the risible proceeding at UNGASS,

The Lib Dens have adopted cannabis legalisation as a policy so I'm sure the other parties won't be far behind.

Haha :hihi::thumbsup:

:hihi:

-

As an aside, Lord Ashdown was on QT last night. If anyone saw it, WTF?! (as the kids would say). He's lost the plot. He changed my vote in the next locals in a couple of weeks, just because I can't associate with that.