How long until Cannabis is legal in the UK?

Educate me, what's THC?

Its the main active ingredient that make you stoned and certain strains of skunk especially the Indicas have a very high proportion. There are actually strains that are fairly safe which contain low THC but are high in CBD and these are the ones used mainly for clinical use.

THC = Tetrahydrocannabinol = getting stoned

CBD = Cannabidiol = pain relief

Maybe if you have a read at some of the statistics you could come back and quote some of the misleading ones.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/bulletins/crimeinenglandandwales/yearendingdec2016#how-have-trends-for-individual-crime-types-changed

Plenty of other sources of data available as well.

OK.......

Drug addict breaks into a house to steal then sell goods to feed the habit.

Crime recorded as burglary !

Dealer encroaches on another dealers patch and gets beaten.

Crime recorded as assault.

Person crosses a top end dealer and gets a warning shot (or worse) through his window.

Crime recorded as gun crime.

Need I go on?

So what's the bad bit? I've fond memories of smoking Ganja in my youth.

The bad bit now is that the modern strains are grown for a high THC content and also smell. The THC content is so high that it can lead to a quick dose of paranoia as it makes you stoned very quickly, those are normally the Indica strains. In the past cannabis resin was popular and also "yardy" weed but that had less THC and also a good mix of CBD and normally produced from Sativa strains which give a more euphoric high.

Its the main active ingredient that make you stoned and certain strains of skunk especially the Indicas have a very high proportion. There are actually strains that are fairly safe which contain low THC but are high in CBD and these are the ones used mainly for clinical use.

THC = Tetrahydrocannabinol = getting stoned

CBD = Cannabidiol = pain relief

Thanks for the succinct explanation apelike.

OK.......

Drug addict breaks into a house to steal then sell goods to feed the habit.

Crime recorded as burglary !

Dealer encroaches on another dealers patch and gets beaten.

Crime recorded as assault.

Person crosses a top end dealer and gets a warning shot (or worse) through his window.

Crime recorded as gun crime.

Need I go on?

Yes as you have provided no data and the thread was about Cannabis. I have never met anyone who consumed cannabis do any of those things.

Edited by apelike

I dont have any experience of this, what has happen when its been done in other countries?

I think people are daft to smoke cannabis, I have tried it about 20 years ago, but selling it in the shops will not mean I will give it another try.

I'm personally not a fan of it, though I am strongly in favour of it's legalisation. Maybe not over night, but in stages, so the impact of legalisation can be measured and understood; which I'm sure, on balance, there will be a lot of positives...

Yes as you have provided no data and the thread was about Cannabis. I have never met anyone who consumed cannabis do any of those things.

Have a look at post 13 Which is yours yes? You are the one who took it off Cannabis and quoted overall "drug" crime.

Now, if the crime is not reported accurately how can anyone quote statistics ?

If you want the truth about drug crime, do what I do and rely on the word of those who deal with it all day everyday.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics !!

And as it happens, I too have never known a cannabis user do any of those things, or know a cannabis user glass someone in a pub, or pee and be sick on the pavement.

Edited by andrejuan

Have a look at post 13 Which is yours yes? You are the one who took it off Cannabis and quoted overall "drug" crime.

Actually I was replying to the OP and this "Much of our crime is down to drugs" and trying to show that is not actually the case.

Now, if the crime is not reported accurately how can anyone quote statistics ?

But it is recorded accurately, a burglary is recorded as a burglary, theft is recorded as theft etc. There may be mitigating circumstances but that applies to all crimes.

If you want the truth about drug crime, do what I do and rely on the word of those who deal with it all day everyday.

And who would these people be?

I'll just throw some number to the discussion - in US, 27.5 % prison inmates (averaged in state and federal prisons) reported being under the influence of drugs at time of their offense. 13.5 % inmates admitted they committed their offense to obtain money to buy drugs. I couldn't find equivalent statistic for UK but I guess it wouldn't be much different.